OFA search question

Thread: OFA search question

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultOFA search question

I have been searching some dogs on the OFA website...if I can't find the dog by name I assume name was mispelled? But if I can't find the name by the akc register number can I assume breeder is lying about ofa results?

Also what do you think about a breeder that gets test done by vet but doesn't send them into OFA?

Does OFA ever expire a dog's information? Say, a breeder has OFA paperwork but I can't find them on the website.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

OFA did have a glitch on their site a while back where some dogs were missing, but I *believe* that's all been straightened out. So...if you're spelling the name correctly and/or searching with their registration number and something doesn't come up, I'd hazard to guess they haven't sent to OFA. One other thing you could try would be to look up one or both of their parents to see if they come up as offspring.

Also what do you think about a breeder that gets test done by vet but doesn't send them into OFA?
    Depends on what clearance we're talking about. OFA only grades orthopedics, so they're simply a recording base for the other clearances. If you can't find hip or elbow scores their on a dog, I would personally raise an eyebrow.

Does OFA ever expire a dog's information? Say, a breeder has OFA paperwork but I can't find them on the website.
    Prelims will be taken down when they grade the finals but otherwise, no they don't expire information.

thanks Nicole...bumping for more input!

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Nicole has given pretty well everything you need to know. Ask the breeder straight out, and ask for a copy emailed to you, because you can't find them on the OFA site. If they don't send, you get your answer.

I'd never consider a breeder who lied about anything. Lying is a no no.

I'd not worry about a breeder who doesn't send ACVO or Cardiac, or blood work results to OFA as long as they can substantiate the information they've given you. Copies of all clearances should be given with puppies etc.

The only reason OFA doesn't put something on their site is if the dog failed and the owner didn't want that info given publically. So if they said the dog had OFAs but they're not on there, the dog may have failed.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

okay...thanks.

- Anonymous

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If they send you the copies of OFAs (and they truly are not on the OFA database) check the certs over very carefully and call OFA. I know someone who bought a pup and never asked for records. A year later the dog had an issue and when they asked the breeder for copies of OFA certs. they received a forged document.