Anyone else's Lab hate toe nail cutting like Puff?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else's Lab hate toe nail cutting like Puff?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone else's Lab hate toe nail cutting like Puff?

I bought a Dremel battery powered tool for trimming Puff's toenails BUT she put up so much of a fight, I couldn't handle her by myself.

So we went back to PetsMart again for a nail trim.

I lie down on the floor next to Puff and grasp her as strongly as I can with both arms. (She is VERY strong!) One of the attendants was able to hold out one leg at a time for the other to clip. We did the same thing for a quick light sanding of each toenail after all the clipping.

It only took about 8 minutes.

This time I had treats with me and after each paw, she got one. Hopefully, if we do this often enough, she'll not fight as much and maybe I can manage it myself.

Anyone else have such a struggle with nails? Anyone got a solution other than complete anesthesia?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Used to. I started doing it a nail at a time and went for a long time in-between without cutting the quick. Now they "reluctantly" let me. Zoe was the WORST. It took a lot of time, Bob, but they will be still for me now, but VERY reluctantly!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy is okay with the nails....doesn't love it but cookies make it all better.

Labs are a cake walk ...try trimming a warrior princess cairn terrier's nails....we are talking about Cricket!
    ha!
    I don't even bother. they get trimmed when she is under anesthesia. thank goodness she got a face full of quills from a battle with a porcupine back in December. Her nails were getting looooonnnnggg.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Nope. Jo used to go to sleep while I was cutting his claws so does my GSD. My Pug however, he's a nightmare!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

There are no words to describe how much I HATE trimming their nails. I'm sure I hate it and dread it much worse than they do. It is so worth it to me to get the DDC to do it or even the vet.

My take on it is.....there are people out there who make a living trimming nails. If I don't give them business, then they will be out of work and on unemployment. So it's my civic duty to pay to get my dogs' nails trimmed.

Now, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

GreenDragonLady is offline Junior Member

My vet charges me $5. It is sooooo worth it for them to do it for me. PJ's not thrilled about it, but she tolerates it.

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey doesn't care at all anymore. When she was a puppy, I played with her paws and nails a LOT, everyday, to get her used to it. Now I tell her to shake, she gives me her paw, I trim them all, give her a treat, repeat for the other one.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Max and Duncan don't mind the nail cutting but Jake...he'll bite your hand off! He gets muzzled when we cut his nails!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks, but I'll pay to have someone else do Lexi's nails or in a pinch my parent's neighbor is a vet tech & she'll do it.

When they go to take Lexi back at the vet's or when I leave her in the grooming salon at Petco, you'd think she was being abused. She carries on & cries, when we go to Petco... I go hide in the back of the store.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Remington absolutely hates it. I can only do his when he's eating. He's more concerned about eating then me clipping his nails. Thankfully, this works for me, otherwise I don't know how I'd get his nails clipped. I use a clipper that has a nail guard so I can't cut him too far. I do two paws at a time (that's all the time I have because he wolfs down his food). I clip his nails every other week rotating the two paws I do.

Another trick that worked with him is saving peanut butter jars and letting him lick out of them while I trimmed his nails.

And, just wanted to add, I think Remington hates being restrained more than the actual clipping, so I no longer make any attempt to restrain him, I just pick up his paw and clip while he dances around eating. I don't touch him anywhere else on his body or try to hold him down.

Magnum loves the Dremel, she hates clippers.

Ruger lets me do either, he tries to hide his paws by pulling them underneath himself, but he lets me do it cause he's a big ole luv.
    Last edited by 3TailsWaggin; 03-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast