He looks great ... for a lab! (abit of a rant)

Thread: He looks great ... for a lab! (abit of a rant)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHe looks great ... for a lab! (abit of a rant)

I am so tired of hearing this.

Rocky is a byb dog I rescued (from a rescue - not from the breeder!). He is COMPELTELY off standard, VERY long legs, narrow but long head, small coat, big time up and his chest is very narrow. Plus I do keep him quite lean. He is very similar to a "field" lab but super sized (meaning MUCH TALLER).

I love his look I admit. I love Rocky and think he is very handsome, honest I do.

But I HATE when people say the following:

- He looks great for a lab
    - He looks so much better than all those SHORT legged labs
    - he looks better than all those short fat labs (yes there are alot of fat labs, but Rocky's chest is very narrow, not at ALL built like a labrador should)
    - when/if I get a lab I want one just like him
    - etc, etc, etc

I go back and forth between saying he is a mix (much easier) which is why he looks the way he is. I sometimes say the truth, he comes from a BYB and a true lab should look nothing like him. But then people look at me lik eI am saying my dog is ugly. Or they get mad at me and say "no, a lab SHOULD look like him". Sigh.

Makes me want to get a true moderately bred labrador from champion lines so I can give people a real lesson but more than that, tell them to TOUCH my well bred lab to see how he IS NOT FAT, just built differently
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

PEOPLE! Your Rocky is a very handsome dog regardless of his ancestry or origination. It matters not what people think of him or how he compares to the lab standard, he is yours and you love him. When people say negative comments about labs in general just tell them they are entitled to their opinion but if they really want to know what they are talking about, look it up on the internet. No further discussion is needed. The important thing is he is wonderful and yours! If anyone really wants info on labs instead of talking out their butts, they'll do the research.

kelli is offline Senior Member

I have one of each..a field and a bench lab.. people seem to prefer one or the other when i take them out, but it's a pretty even split.. the problem is people are usually surprised they're both the same breed so i have to explain the field/bench difference 800 times a day.. but when i have them out individually.. everyone just sees lab..

before i got tuck, i had no idea there were two types.. none.. so i can't blame people for not knowing..

and what surprises people the most, is my long and lanky tucker, outweighs koda but a considerable amount.. she just looks heavier because of her build.. so i guess people assume a "fat" lab weighs more than they actually do.

kelli, tucker and koda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Rocky is gorgeous

amazongold is offline Senior Member

People are always amazed to find out that long and lanky Champ outweighs stocky little Buddy by a good 20 pounds. They just look at the build and long legs and don't really see the whole dog. Champ is built very much like Rocky, including the long narrow head.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Samson is offline Senior Member

Don't come onto a Lab forum with photo's of a Labrador and expect us to criticise him !

He's gorgeous !! Bench - Field - Fat - Thin Gaaaaaa Loveable and don't let anybody tell you anything any different !

Tanya is offline Senior Member

As I mentioned in my post, I do think Rocky is beautiful and yes I love his long and lean look (very very much so). It wasn't about Rocky being ugly (or my saying/thinking he is). It was about using his look as a yardstick for what a "lab should look like" when he, though beautiful/handsome, goes against the lab standard. If one really wants his type of look, you'd best look at another breed (say Wein, vizla, ridgeback) or get a rescue (as to not support unethical breeding). People are basically telling me that breeders should breed labs TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HIM, that is what annoys me (on top of insulting all the other labs)
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky