4 month old lab hates being brushed

Thread: 4 month old lab hates being brushed

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Default4 month old lab hates being brushed

Hi!

My 4 month old lab, Dio, hates being brushed! I started him at 8 weeks, when we got him, brushing twice a week, but he still hates it! He tries to bite the brush and to run away. It always turns into a struggle and has both of us ticked off. How to make it a fun and relaxing experience? He's started to shed a bit, so I'll be brushing him quite a bit... I am not looking forward to this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Get one of those rubber gloves from your pet shop & try that. Mine LOVE it. They think you're stroking them but in actual fact, you're doing a good job of grooming them. I think they like the soft feel of the rubber.

You could also try a zoom groom. That's been another favorite of all my dogs for at least the last 20 years.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Yep the zoom groom is a life saver. I have never tried the glove but would like to. Mine always want their tummy rubbed and so that makes it hard to groom their back. lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he sees it as a toy and is trying to make it into a game, typical pup.

I would use something distracting for now, and work up to rewarding him for calm behaviour when he's being brushed. Put a little peanut butter on a plastic lid and have him lick it off while you brush him.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with those suggestions.

My first Lab, Bess, was a mega-generator of fur and the 20th pass of a wire brush resulted in it being just as clogged as the first. Bess loved being brushed.

Puff's fur is much less dense and she kind of tolerates being brushed with a Zoom Groom.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

I really recommend the zoom groom also...wonderful tool.

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Thank you all! I'll try your suggestions and see what works the best.

brody is offline Senior Member

I would also work on making grooming acceptable for you both with ANY type of brush - a stroke a treat (or praise) then do something else - 2 strokes then reward .. one stroke reward - alternate number of strokes between rewards ..

my Brody is AWFUL to groom still - nobody put the time in when he was young and I have worked through this for 8 years now - it can be done but it's a LOT more work than it should be
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Sedona didn't like to be groomed either so when she was a puppy (9 weeks) I gave her one of my Zoom Groom brushes to chew on as she couldn't chew anything off of it. I use a Zoom Groom, flea comb and Furminator (very gently) and she has to smell each one before I groom. Now that she is 22 months and can chew pieces off of the Zoom Groom I had to switch to something different that she can't chew up. As long as she has something to occupy herself while grooming no problem. She is just very peculiar about grooming so I adapted and we are both happy. Now I am grooming two to three times a week to keep the fur under control. Good luck. We will be getting a new puppy in February and hopefully she will not mind grooming!

Isn't it great to have a sister

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Brushing BJ is a two-person job. My own fault, I didn't brush him until he was about a year old. If I pick up anything that he knows is a brushing instrument he runs - glove, zoom groom, furminator whatever. If I am brushing the other dogs (who love it by the way) and reach for him, he dances away.

He will stand there and tolerate though if someone else is holding him. But the minute he sees an opportunity, he is gone!

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart