We have had so much rain here lately mushrooms are popping up everywhere. The older girls leave them alone but Kate wants to eat them all. I don't let her near them but she's fast & since I don't know which ones are poisonous....I just get her away from all of them.
I noticed a weird cluster of them in the front yard, the tops look kind of like an umbrella. I tried to go out & pick them from the backyard but we have a large fenced in yard in the back & I know there a more. I do like to let her run in the backyard but now I am worried. Try keeping a 12 week old by your side. She doesn't stay there long.
Oh boy. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out too. We've had so much rain this year, all summer long, and we have mushrooms of all shapes, sizes, colors, forms.
The conclusion I finally came to is, you'd almost have to be a mycologist to tell the difference just by looking. Mushroom hunters, when choosing mushrooms to eat, often have to take spore prints to ID them. I am certainly not taking spore prints of every mushroom that comes up in the yard, so I finally just gave up and pick them out as I see them. We just have an across-the-board "No Mushroom" policy.
I don't think the majority of them are poisonous. BUT, with absolutely no way to be certain, better safe than sorry.
Thanks Connie. I agree. Better not to eat any. I can't wait till she knows "leave it." For now..I will just pick them all.
nearly all mushrooms that grow wild have a poisonous relative that looks alike
I'm with you - get them all up better safe than sorry
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller