Need to shop before Bess comes to her new home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to shop before Bess comes to her new home

DefaultNeed to shop before Bess comes to her new home

I have a week before BESS comes home. Years ago I had nice success with 2 brands with my Goldens. They were Canadae and Innova. The dogs did well and they did not have all the nasty by-products found in other foods. I know this is subjective and could open a pandoras box, but I would be interested in learning what recents foods have worked well. When it comes to BESS's nutrition I am willing to spend whatever I need to insure that she gets what she needs. Plus, since I am not feeding many dogs I don't mind paying a little more for her food.

I have already had someone tell me to keep away from all kibble based food and do a raw diet. The local premium dog food store has frozen raw food but I don't know if I want to mess with raw. Any comments would be welcome.

I also have some other shopping to do. Besides food I need to do some more shopping so everything is ready before she arrives. Below is a list. Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome:

Crate - extra large (I have an unopened 42" with a divider)
    Leash and collar
    Bowls
    safe toys
    Dog bed

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What is your breeder feeding? Most will expect you to feed their choice for at least 6 month or so.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I believe the food was called Diamond. Can't say I ever heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What is your breeder feeding? Most will expect you to feed their choice for at least 6 month or so.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Diamond comes in 2 grades: plain "Diamond" plus also the "Diamond Naturals" which is much higher grade. The plain Diamond is roughly equivalent to Iams and similar lower grade, cheaper brands of Purina, Eukanuba/Iams, Nutro, etc.

The Diamond Naturals label also has Large Breed Puppy foods (one with Lamb, one with Chicken) and either of those LBP foods would be appropriate for your Bess.

Both Diamond and Diamond Naturals are made by Schell & Kampeter, a company which also makes a variety of dog foods including Taste of the Wild. As far as I know, they don't advertise any?/most? of them but, instead, depend on word of mouth and slightly lower prices (from not advertising) to sell their foods. They also make the Kirkland Chicken & Rice I've fed my Puff for 7 years; it's quite similar to the Diamond Naturals formula. ("Kirkland" is the house brand of Costco, similar to "Kenmore" for Sears).

IMO, the formula for Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy food is a little better than ProPlan, Eukanuba, or Science Diet's LBP foods in that the only grains in it are rice and a little barley.

Google Diamond Naturals and their website will give you the formulas and analysis of the foods they produce. (I'll ETA the link)http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d..._rice_formula/

But please do check with your breeder and continue feeding what she feeds for some time.

I strongly disapprove of feeding a Lab pup a raw diet.

The amount of calcium consumed, the calcium : phosphorus ratio, along with the amount of metabolizable energy have been found in many scientific canine nutritional studies to be extermely critical for the proper joint development of puppies of Large Breed and Giant Breed dogs and for avoiding later joint problems as adults. Too much or incorrect ratios can very easily lead to later joint problems. You cannot adequately control those factors when you feed raw.

Large Breed Puppy foods of Diamond Naturals, Eukanuba, Science Diet and many other LBP foods will have those correct amounts and ratios.

(See my post #4 in this link for references to this: http://forum.justlabradors.com/showthread.php?t=10776 )

If your breeder is as good as you imply, I think it's doubtful she'd let you have a puppy if you told her you were going to feed raw.

BTW, IMO "Bess" is a beautiful name for a very beautiful pup.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-10-2009 at 04:31 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly find out the exact food that Bess has ben eating up to know. While I mention that I have heard good things about 'raw diets', it is not my intent to feed her 'raw' unless I really needed to. Historically, I have fed my dogs what I thought to be higher quality foods, and I do not mind paying extra when the dogs health is at stake. I do know the breeder was feeding numerous dogs and was buying the Diamond food. I will get more details.

So if I determine there are better options for her nutritionally, I will slowly make the change in a way that would not negatively impact her.

Regarding the name 'Bess', my dad (who I was very close with before he passed in 83), once made a comment that 'Bess' would be a wonderful name for a Labrador. That has stuck with me for a long time. I always planned on using that name one day. My last 2 dogs (Goldens) were Maui and Honeybelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Diamond comes in 2 grades: plain "Diamond" plus also the "Diamond Naturals" which is much higher grade. The plain Diamond is roughly equivalent to Iams and similar lower grade, cheaper brands of Purina, Eukanuba/Iams, Nutro, etc.

The Diamond Naturals label also has Large Breed Puppy foods (one with Lamb, one with Chicken) and either of those LBP foods would be appropriate for your Bess.

Both Diamond and Diamond Naturals are made by Schell & Kampeter, a company which also makes a variety of dog foods including Taste of the Wild. As far as I know, they don't advertise any?/most? of them but, instead, depend on word of mouth and slightly lower prices (from not advertising) to sell their foods. They also make the Kirkland Chicken & Rice I've fed my Puff for 7 years; it's quite similar to the Diamond Naturals formula. ("Kirkland" is the house brand of Costco, similar to "Kenmore" for Sears).

IMO, the formula for Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy food is a little better than ProPlan, Eukanuba, or Science Diet's LBP foods in that the only grains in it are rice and a little barley.

Google Diamond Naturals and their website will give you the formulas and analysis of the foods they produce. (I'll ETA the link)http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d..._rice_formula/

But please do check with your breeder and continue feeding what she feeds for some time.

I strongly disapprove of feeding a Lab pup a raw diet.

The amount of calcium consumed, the calcium : phosphorus ratio, along with the amount of metabolizable energy have been found in many scientific canine nutritional studies to be extermely critical for the proper joint development of puppies of Large Breed and Giant Breed dogs and for avoiding later joint problems as adults. Too much or incorrect ratios can very easily lead to later joint problems. You cannot adequately control those factors when you feed raw.

Large Breed Puppy foods of Diamond Naturals, Eukanuba, Science Diet and many other LBP foods will have those correct amounts and ratios.

(See my post #4 in this link for references to this: http://forum.justlabradors.com/showthread.php?t=10776 )

If your breeder is as good as you imply, I think it's doubtful she'd let you have a puppy if you told her you were going to feed raw.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I think the recommendation from most lab breeders are to feed a large breed puppy food for the first year. This is supposed to prevent joint problems later in life, I think.
    I feed mine Taste of the Wild. They love it and are doing well on it. They are both adult dogs, though.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

There are a lot of good foods out there. A lot of bad ones too. As others have said, keep her on what the breeder recommends for a while, and that gives you time to do some research.

Here's a site that may be helpful:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Thanks, I will check out the link. This is all good info......

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post

There are a lot of good foods out there. A lot of bad ones too. As others have said, keep her on what the breeder recommends for a while, and that gives you time to do some research.

Here's a site that may be helpful:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You might take a look at the Large Breed Puppy formula of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul -- it's also made by Schell & Kampeter. I think it's rated 4 or 5 star by the dog food analysis project.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks, I have been reading up on this on the website dogfoodanalysis. There is a considerable amount of information to digest. I noticed that the food I used in the past with my Golden (Canidae), only has an all stages formula, rather than a large puppy blend. I have also read some conflicting info regarding grains and preservatives. I would be curious to know how other members have fared on this site in feeding their young labs. I also noticed the other food I used with my Goldens Innova has a Large puppy food. However, they all have grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    You might take a look at the Large Breed Puppy formula of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul -- it's also made by Schell & Kampeter. I think it's rated 4 or 5 star by the dog food analysis project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast