After kennelling...has anyone notice a difference?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After kennelling...has anyone notice a difference?

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultAfter kennelling...has anyone notice a difference?

So we left the dogs for 15 days at a kennel for the first time (they did have a test overnight before we left them for that long) and I wasn't sure what to expect when we picked them up. They were kennelled together in the same pen. First of all, they were so distracted by all the other dogs coming in for daycare that they barely noticed us...but when they got home. CLINGY. I was so worried that they would sulk or snub us for leaving them for that long, but no. Just the opposite. Shadows. Both of them. So well behaved. Coming when called every time even!

And added bonus...they seem to have really bonded. Brooklyn always "tolerated" her younger obnoxious brother and while I know Remy adores her...he can also be a total P.I.T.A. baby brother. The first thing they did was curl up back to back and sleep in the living room while I caught up on email. They are actually touching each other! Its so nice not to have all they whiny bitey-face going on "Mommmm!! He's touching me!!" Then later they fell asleep on the floor and Brooklyn rolled over and actually put her paw over Remy's shoulder - of course I was charging my cell phone and didn't get a picture

So for all my worrying...it was fine. Anyone had a similar experience?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Awwww.. that is so sweet! I am glad they had a positive experience.

Personally, i am not a fan of kennels but that is just due to experience. We had to put our first dog in kennels for a weekend as we were going to a wedding in Wales. The kennel came highly recommended, but we still decided to do a practice run. Carin was a rescue dog and i wanted her to understand that we would be coming back for her. The test run went well. So, we dropped her off on the friday morning. When we went to pick her up on the Monday she was in a state, she smelt of her own wee, had poo in her coat, they had lost her innoculations record along with her lead and food bowls. I have never done it since. Now, we just take seperate holidays so that our pup doesnt have to go into Kennels.

Hubby tells me, when i go away Harvey whimpers for a day and is always looking for me. When i come home, he is really clingy for about an hour, then he sulks for a day or so. I go away on Monday and have already got the suitcases down from the loft and he is not happy!

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarveysMum View Post
    she was in a state, she smelt of her own wee, had poo in her coat, they had lost her innoculations record along with her lead and food bowls.
    That is awful - so sorry you had a bad experience like that!

Mya goes to "Bow Wow Boutique" (giggle giggle). A friend of mine runs it and she lets Mya go with her to feed the horses and just putz around doing chores. Even at that Mya is just wild and whiney for the 10 minute ride home and then she is back to normal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't have much kenneling experience. Just once with Paddy when he was about 18 months old, and that was only for three days. He was his regular self when we collected him, nothing out of the ordinary in his behaviour. He was happy, glad to see us, but his normal "I'm in control of this situation" self.

Ever since then, and a gazillion dogs later, it's home care for my guys. I just have too many to kennel and the service I use is absolutely everything I could possibly ask for. When I get back from a trip the guys are pretty much like, "Oh hi, mom. Where ya been? Can we go to bed / have a cookie / do some retrieves now... depending upon the time of day I get back home.

No trauma, no miseries, just... life as usual.

Seamus and Flynn

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

we usually leave them with Remy's breeder. But since our trip was so long and it fell during Memorial Day weekend when they were going away... it just didn't work out. we looked briefly into a house sitter, but decided we weren't comfortable with someone in our house. This kennel was highly recommended and one of the staff is from our vet and another from our obedience school... so we were ok with it.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I had a terrible experience with my first Lab, Bess.

My wife and I left her in what we thought was a good kennel with a lot of other dogs and where she could play with them. She was about 1˝ years old and had never been separated from us -- and we didn't think to have a trial run. We were gone 15 days.

When we returned, Bess acted almost psychotic and as if she didn't know us or want to know us -- terribly unusual for a Lab that always wanted to express her love to everyone. That lasted for 4 l-o-n-g days. At that time, I finally got her to come outside with me and do some fetching of her training dummy -- always her most favorite activity. After several fetches, Bess snapped back to normal and her old personality came flooding back. After that, we sometimes had to kennel her while we flew out of town for a weekend or week-long meeting but Bess never showed any problem after that first one.

The first time Puff and I were separated, she was about 6 months old and had to stay 30 hrs. at KSU's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Remembering Bess's experience, I was curious as to what Puff's reaction would be. When we rejoined, there was another family with 2 girls (maybe 7 & 9) waiting to pick up their dog at checkout. Puff ignored me and concentrated on schmoozing the girls. When we got in the van, Puff continued ignoring me for about 30 miles of the 50 mile trip back home. Then she relented and let me know she wouldn't be offended if I petted her, etc. Since then, I've kenneled her quite a few times for 3-5 days and never had a bad reaction -- she's always been happy to see me again after being kenneled.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

When I have to travel Misha and Homer stay at my Vet friend´s home. He says they behave well and play well with his dogs, only Homer tends to bark (strange because at home he never does). When they come back they seem overly excited and hyper for the first couple days, then just calm down.

When I separate them because Misha is in heat, the re-encounter between them is something to watch! Last time Homer would not leave Misha´s side, would be nibbling her ear (like Ollie with Henery) and they both would be cuddling more than regularly (Homer loves to cuddle, Misha contends but it´s not her cup of tea)

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

We've boarded Miko several times since she was about 8 months old. Each time was for 3 to 4 days. I think she has a lot of fun interacting with the people and dogs there. By the time she comes home, she is totally exhausted and would sleep a lot for the next 2 days or so. Then she's back to her hyper self. :-D

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I couldn't bear to board my dogs. I have friends who have a 'I take yours/you take mine' arrangement, we don't keep track who's ahead or behind, we just don't want to board the dogs. And my sister gets Rhys everyday while I'm at work.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Samson is offline Senior Member

I rarely board my pups, but my friend puts her two in regularly and poor old Murphy is always hoarse when he goes home from all the barking that he feels compelled to do !

Ever heard a hoarse dog ? Hilarious and pathetic all at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast