Beef Marrow (bones) - safety Qs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beef Marrow (bones) - safety Qs

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBeef Marrow (bones) - safety Qs

I tend to get paranoid with bones and such (has taken me a long time to let Rocky have any, get anxious when he does - but he needs something to help his teeth - and yes I brush but that isn't enough).

Anyhoo, I bought beef marrow bones that are frozen. Are there health isssues (bacteria or whatnot) when they are unfrozen? It said to unfreeze and serve at room temperature so I assume not?

Can you let hte dog chew it days later (i pick up but can I give it back rather than always give a new one)?

Thanks. Alternatively, if there are better choices let me know.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Tanya, this won't help your anxiety at all, but Henery broke both of his teeth on one marrow bone. He's a heavy-duty, hard-core chewer though, that's probably why...

As far as frozen vs. unfrozen goes, I'd always heard to give it to them frozen, let them chew for a while, then pop back into the freezer (in a baggie). ?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

my vet said the same thing about bones (that it can lead to broken teeth, chipped teeth). do you not use any bones anymore? Do you brush their teeth more or use something else?

The biggest reason I got into bones is really for his teeth. I try to brush (and will when he has eaten dirt) but admit I am not the best at doing it every week.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Nope, no more marrow bones at our house, or any other kind of bone for that matter, except for nylabones and even then I watch him like a hawk when he has one of those... if he starts really getting carried away chewing, I take it away.

I brush both of the boyz' teeth every 3-4 days, plus I have chlorhexidine wipes from the vet for Henry.

I think that turkey necks (raw) are supposed to be good for teeth cleaning... and are a lot more teeth-friendly. Maybe PM Kate and ask her... I give Henry a turkey neck now and then when I can find them.

Some people use antlers... though again, I'm not sure how teeth-friendly they are. After having Henry go through 2 surgeries for 2 extractions, I'm really wary about what I give him to chew on.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

use to give them to my guys all the time. up until last november when someone broke a piece off and zena snagged it and had an obstruction. if you have super, power chewers; i'd say forgo them.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi still gets them- Big old ones from the butcher, frozen! She gets them for a few minutes at at time and pop them back in the freezer. We watch her closely and once the goodies on the outside and the marrow on the inside are gone they get thrown away! She doesn't bother just gnawing on the bone- and so far no problems.

joflake is offline Senior Member

My dogs get them all the time, and I've never had a problem. I give them frozen, they chew them until they're picked clean. Sometimes I pick them up and pitch them in the trash, sometimes I don't. They'll go back days later and chew on them. If they're cleaned off really well, there's nothing to grow bacteria. I probably have twenty or so bones laying around inside and out.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I buy them from the butcher and give them frozen - I watch closely and after a little while pick them all up. I put them in the fridge if there is still "stuff" on or in them. I will give them for a day or 2 and then throw them away. They love them and they are a cheap treat that will keep them busy for a while. SO far no one has broken a tooth (knock on wood!)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have not given a bone to my boys since we lost Lucy. She bloated on a day when she had a marrow bone before dinner. I am sure that logically there is no connection - but I just don't have a good feeling about them now.

I did give them at room temp as well as frozen. I never worried about bacteria.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Derby broke his fourth premolar on one, had to have it extracted. No more bones for him. He gets raw frozen turkey necks.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast