Jealous dog...PLEASE HELP!

Thread: Jealous dog...PLEASE HELP!

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

DefaultJealous dog...PLEASE HELP!

My dog Lucy is 14 months old and I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She has been the only dog until recently. She has been a very good dog and usually minds pretty good. I recently moved from an apartment into a house with a huge fenced in back yard. I have recently been getting concerned that Lucy may be lonely and needed a friend to play with. Whenever my mom comes over and brings her dogs Lucy has so much fun. So...I adopted a baby lab yesterday (it may be a mix but it looks mostly black lab, her name is Abby).

Lucy is so jealous of the new puppy. When the puppy gets around her the hair on Lucy's back stands up, she growls and shows her teeth, and she has even snapped at her a couple of times. I am so worried that I have made the wrong decision, I was just trying to do the best for her. I would make me happy to know she had somebody with her when I am away at work. I am hoping she will eventually get used to her, but I just worry she will not. And in a way I feel bad for Lucy because I think she feels she will not be loved anymore.

I have seen this behavior before, and still do, when my sister's dog gets around Lucy. She does the exact same thing (growling and sometimes snapping). She is a lab/rotweiller mix we think and is 9 years old, so I blamed her behavior on old age and not wanting a puppy bothering her. But now that I'm seeing Lucy do the same thing it worries me so much.

I don't want Lucy to feel bad and abandoned. And since I have gotten the puppy she has not been minding me and usually gives me kisses when I tell her to...no more of that. When Abby gets near Lucy she either growls or moves away to a different spot. If somebody has any advice at all PLEASE help me, I just don't know the right way to go about getting her to like Abby and at the same time showing her that my love has not and will not change for her. Any help would be appreciated more than you know! Thanks!

Laura, Lucy, and Abby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sorry things didn't go as smoothly as you had hoped.

the following is just my two cents, take it for what it is worth.

Abit of jealousy is normal, expecially if you really doted on her (she now has to share that attention). But at the same time, it has been only one day.

BUT, it also depends if Lucy is growling/snapping out of frustration of the new addition OR if she is just putting puppy in their place. Pups should not get away with murder and it is ok (good even) for the older dog to correct puppy that is acting inappropriatly (i.e. biting alot, not leaving them alone). If the older dog is not just "correcting innapropriate puppy behavior" i would correct the older dog.

I would provide the older dog with some "alone" space away from the puppy at times. I would also try to do some special acitivity with just hte older dog (walk for example as young pups can't go for as long) or games of fetch. THis is going to mean alot of work as the puppy will need alot of training and time as well.

I would, however, suggest you really consider if YOU want another dog - your post only mentions getting another dog FOR LUCY. Sure it is "nice" to have a playmate, but for you the human that means alot more work (even once they work out the jealously issues). They will each need one on one time with you, the puppy will need training and Lucy will need some special time with you as well. They will likely end up playing together but that is never a guaranty (even if they become "friends").

Bottom line - things will eventually balance out. Correct older dog if they are going beyond appropriate corrections with thepuppy but also give them space away from the puppy and some one on one time. I would also up Lucy's training. She may be acting up from seing the puppy get away with things so she is trying to as well. Or just acting out.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lisa is offline Senior Member

I completely agree with Tanya...give it some time, I'm sure things will work out. You and your pups will be in my prayers. Keep us posted and let us know how things are working out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

Thank you so much for your postings!! I took them both outside today and sat down with them and they actually started playing together! I think Lucy is starting to get used to her, which surprised me. She will get one of her toys and run trying to get Abby to chase her, it's so cute. Thank you for the time and consideration. I will definitely keep you posted on their progress!!

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henry was almost 5 1/2 when Ollie came home at 8 weeks, and it had just been him and I until then. Needless to say, Henry's nose was a bit out of joint for a little while. What I found helped with us was to make it a priority to spend one-on-one time with both boys, as well as really work Henry's obedience exercises (which he loves).

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Whatever you do, do NOT leave them alone together for several months. Make sure they are both crated separately. Lucy could hurt the puppy, whether intentionally or accidentally. An older dog should not be left alone with a puppy until you KNOW EXACTLY what is going to happen ... i.e., never.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya. It's only been a day & you need to allow both to adapt to a new situation.

I started fostering for a local rescue earlier this year. Up until this, Lexi has been an only dog & the sole focus of my attention. I expected her nose to be out of place when the first foster puppy arrived & I pegged it right. All the foster had to do was look at Lexi wrong & Lexi would grumble. It took about a week or so before she started to warm up to the pup. By the time the foster was ready to go to her "fur"ever home, Lexi was engaging her in play & really having fun.

My pretty girl, Lexi!