Need Advice in Hawaii
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice in Hawaii

Hamakua808 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed Advice in Hawaii

Our Henry Back!!
    We just recently got back with our dog. My family and I have been away from him for almost 2 years due to military matters. He has been staying with my parents for that time and not getting enough attention as needed. We live on Military housing now and I have him with us. He is 2 years old and a beautiful Yellow Labrador but time away did take its toll. I still gottah take him to a groomer and see a see a local vet. His hair is all over the place. I got the "furminator" but having fun trying to use it. If you know what I mean. My concern is trying to train him since he is 2 years old. He is kinda potty train for doing number 1, but number 2 is what I am nervous about. he hasnt gone since we got him back last night 7 o'clock Hawaii Time. Now its 9 in the mornin. We have beentaking him out side frequently but he does only number 1, but didn't do number 2 yet. he did eat a little already. Me and my wife think he could be a little home sick not seeing my parents anymore. Does anyone have any advice for us?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome...I am from Hawaii alsol
    Was he going regularly at your parents' house? When was the last time he pooped at your parents'?

When I watched my parents' dog for several weeks, he didn't poop regularly. We thought it was due to stress.
    Perhaps you should take him for a walk or for a nice run in the park. That usually gets things going.

Good luck...
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Finding a place to get him to run after a ball a few times works every time for Hershey Kisses. I think the activity moves the load toward the exit.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest getting into a training class - look around near you, contact any local clubs (like a Labrador club) and see if they can recommend a trainer for you. Wherever you choose, I would try to go watch one of the classes they are offering and see if you like how the trainers are. For example - the place I took Abbey as a puppy wasn't very good (lots of harsh punishment as opposed to positive reinforcement), but I didn't know any better until I came to the forum.

Do you have a crate already? I would suggest crate training your dog while you are gone during the day. It can also help facilitate not having accidents in the house. They will generally not want to pee/poop where they sleep. As far as preventing accidents, have your dog leashed to you at all times - that way if your dog decides to want to go, you can immediately say "NO" and take them outside, where you praise, praise, praise when they finish outside. If you can't watch your dog - back to the crate. The accidents happen when you aren't watching. We're all guilty of it, but that's the best method - leashed to you at all times outside of the crate.

I agree with the others - try to get things moving by going for a walk or playing fetch. That works like a charm with my dogs.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks Everyone for the great advise. We are heading out the door to go to the Doggy park near the NEX here on Oahu. We are going to make Henry Sweat for the first time in awhile. I will let everyone know how it goes and post a pic of him. OH! does anyone have any feed back about the Furminator and its shampoo and stuff. I really wanna try to control his shedding problem as bess as possible?

Alohaz!!!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

You can always "match" him with a paper match if you become really concerned about his lack of a BM. The furminator really does work great, just don't overdo it. I have never used the special shampoo they sell.

Do you have anywhere for him to swim? I feel like that helps my dogs get rid of some of their fur. I have not tried the Furminator brand shampoo/conditioner, so not sure about that one... But be careful with the Furminator - you can pull out too much hair very easily. I have a Zoom Groom (as do a lot of others here) and it works great!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Have to add - labradors shed. Some of them shed a LOT. Brushing regularly will limit this, but it's never going to go away completely....

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris View Post
    Have to add - labradors shed. Some of them shed a LOT. Brushing regularly will limit this, but it's never going to go away completely....
    Very true! Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't shed much at all? My vacuum would love that!

Thanks Everyone for all the great advice. Took Henry to the Doggy Park yesterday. He was all over the place and ignoring us. I guess it his first time to such a thing and he was too excited and wanted to explore. Anyhow! its the 3rd day since he has been back with us and his eating habits arent the greatest. He didnt alot of food yet or as usual. Ah! well I will just wait. I am sure if he gets hungry enough he will eat what ever. I hope...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast