Java's post-op UPDATE!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java's post-op UPDATE!!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultJava's post-op UPDATE!!

Hey guys,

Java's ortho surgeon called me last night at about 5:45...he had an emergency surgery so Java's surgery got pushed back a little bit.
    The surgery went very well and she came out of the anesthesia fine. She was resting when he called.
    BUT-the knee had significant damage-much more than he was anticipating. Her meniscus was 3/4 gone, she had only 1/4 of it left and it was "shredded" to use his word. So, he cleaned that up. Her CCL was completely gone. He said in her other knee the CCL was completely torn, but it was present, on this knee it was GONE, reabsorbed by the body. The angle of her knee was very steep also. She also had a large lesion (5 mm) on this knee compared to a 1mm lesion on the other knee (OCD).
    Overall, it wasn't the greatest news, not what he or I was expecting. He originally did the surgery on her right knee first because that one seemed worse, it was the knee she was limping on. Her left knee did not seem as bad, no limp.
    Where the prognosis on her right knee on a scale of 1-10(10 being best, 1 being worst) is a 9-10, the prognosis on her left knee is about a 6, maybe a 7. He said she will have significantly worse arthritis in her left knee than her right and it will happen sooner rather than later, so keeping her lean and on good supplements will be very important.
    It is not a death sentence by any means, but it is something we will have to deal with for the rest of her life. If she were a working dog she would be retired immediately, but she is just my baby girl, no work. Her activity and pain level will have to be monitored and tailored to her tolerance level. Dr. Massat said it is very sad news for a 1 yr old lab, but that she can and will still have a long happy life because she has so much personality and spirit.
    So, that's it.....not the greatest news for my girl, but it's nothing life threatening. I called this morning and they said she was doing very well. She was eating and walking, 3 legging it with a bit of toe touching, which is expected. They said she rested comfortably last night and she was an angel all night, no whining or crying (unlike Moka who they all remember very clearly-she whined and cried ALL night when she was there-lol)This morning she appears happy and comfortable. I am expecting a phone call by 10 am to let me know if she will be able to come home tonight-I really hope she can. I miss my baby girl.
    Thank you everyone for all your good thoughts and prayers for my sweet Java.
    Gina, Java & Moka

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Oh goodness! Continued good healing thoughts for your girl.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry - continued good thoughts for your girl

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tismom is offline Senior Member

Continued good thoughts for Java.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

Java will have a long and happy life because you will see to it that she listens to doctor's orders. You are a good mom!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Continued good thoughts for Java. I hope she gets to come home today.

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

So sorry that Java's knees were worse than expected Gina. Hopefully she will heal from the surgery and be content to lead a more laid back, easy exercise lifestyle. We will continue to send up positive, healing thoughts and blessings for both Java and Moka.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Sending you good thoughts Java.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That stinks that the knee was worse than you expected, but she'll do just fine being a couch potato! Probably low impact activity like swimming will be good for her too. Fortunately, labs are pretty resillient....she'll recover just fine!

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update, continued good thoughts on the way to your girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast