Worried
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorried

Over the weekend I wrote a post about dogs sensing feelings. Well, I think Bailey was sick. Saturday night she vomited all her food and a very large piece of towel. A couple weeks ago I also wrote a post about what to put in her crate because she ate portions of the two towels that were in her crate. Since then she has been in her crate with nothing (just the new tray I bought and her Kong). Well apparently she ate more towel than I thought. I must not have examined the amount of missing towel that closely. To me it looked like she had just shredded it and there were pieces all over the floor. I am mad at myself now bc I don't know how much she really ate now.

OK...so...Saturday-vomited food and piece of towel
    Sunday morning-vomited yellow bile
    All day Sunday she was acting perfectly fine was hyper and wanted to play/eat. Monday and Tuesday she was acting like herself and eating fine (no vomit Monday or Tuesday).
    Called the vet on Tuesday since they were closed Monday...they said to just watch for more towel to pass, watch her behavior and eating habits.
    Today (Wednesday)...Bailey greeted me like normal when I let her out of her crate, ran around the house for a few minutes, then we went on a short walk. We came back and she vomited three small amounts of yellow bile again.
    I called the vet, but they are closed...I would have thought they would be open till at least 5.
    Bailey is now acting perfectly fine jumping around bringing me her toys.

I will call the vet again in the morning. Any advice? I am worried about her, but she is acting like her normal hyper self and eating fine....but I am still very worried.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

One last thing...she is pooping normal, but towel pieces are not passing in her poop.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

If she's pooping normally and energy level is good, you can probably wait until morning. But I'd be worried, too, and I'd definitely take her in to the vet tomorrow instead of phoning. Better safe than sorry.

Good thoughts for Bailey.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TobysTrix View Post
    If she's pooping normally and energy level is good, you can probably wait until morning. But I'd be worried, too, and I'd definitely take her in to the vet tomorrow instead of phoning. Better safe than sorry.

Good thoughts for Bailey.
    I agree with this.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Also, has it been really hot where you are, or at least a sudden temperature or humidity change? My old dog, Caleb, used to get sick (vomit) when it was too hot for him, and that's all it was. His body could not handle the heat. I would still be calling the vet in the morning until you figure out what is up with her.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    Also, has it been really hot where you are, or at least a sudden temperature or humidity change? My old dog, Caleb, used to get sick (vomit) when it was too hot for him, and that's all it was. His body could not handle the heat. I would still be calling the vet in the morning until you figure out what is up with her.
    It has been hot and humid here in New Jersey recently. Bailey doesn't do well in the heat. In the winter I could walk her for an hour and that would be good for her. In the hot, humid weather...15-20 minutes and she is ready to stop, then she comes inside and is worn out ready to relax. Because of this I started only walking her early in the morning or later at night when it is cooler. The past couple days have been humid here...so that is a possible cause, but I agree I still need to call the vet.
    Last edited by Meg1230; 06-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Is she pooping the same volume that she would normally poop? I wouldn't be as worried if she's otherwise pooping normally (frequency and volume).

Or are they smaller and smaller poops or longer amount of time in between? If so, I'd be worried that the towel remnants were causing a partial blockage... ie there is some digested food able to get by the blockage but eventually she'll get really blocked up. Do you have an e-vet near you? If she were mine, and her poop volume was getting smaller, that's where I'd be headed... but I'm super crazy uber-paranoid. lol. Even if it's nothing, to me it's worth the $100 for piece of mind.

Also, *when* is she vomiting? First thing in the morning when she gets up before she's fed? Bile could just be from having an empty stomach all night long.

Hope Bailey is feeling better soon!
    Last edited by Henery&Ollie's mom; 06-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I agree with Felicia. If your dog is eating and pooping then the yellow bile is not such a worry. I had a dog who vomited yellow bile whenever she was empty. Like - if her morning or evening meals were a little late - she'd eat some grass and puke up some bile.

If she is not pooping normally - then yes - you have reason to be concerned.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Henery&Ollie's mom View Post
    Is she pooping the same volume that she would normally poop? I wouldn't be as worried if she's otherwise pooping normally (frequency and volume).

Or are they smaller and smaller poops or longer amount of time in between? If so, I'd be worried that the towel remnants were causing a partial blockage... ie there is some digested food able to get by the blockage but eventually she'll get really blocked up. Do you have an e-vet near you? If she were mine, and her poop volume was getting smaller, that's where I'd be headed... but I'm super crazy uber-paranoid. lol. Even if it's nothing, to me it's worth the $100 for piece of mind.

Also, *when* is she vomiting? First thing in the morning when she gets up before she's fed? Bile could just be from having an empty stomach all night long.

Hope Bailey is feeling better soon!
    She is pooping normal...same two times a day and same frequency. One time she vomited bile was first thing in the morning before she ate. The other time was this afternoon when I got home from work which was also before she ate dinner.

When I do take her to the vet...what will they do? Bailey is my first dog...so I am not too familiar with vet procedures. I probably worry too much because she is my first dog...but I am sure I will always worry about her!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

I hope everything will be fine - I'm a first time owner too and it's like being a first time mum all over again. You have no yardstick to measure aginst or experience to fall back on. I took Dinozzo to the vet when he stopped eating and just looked thoroughly miserable...turned out he had a very high temperature and an infection that responded well to treatment. It's much better to worry and find out that it was all unfounded than delay and possibly make things worse.

I'll be thinking of you both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast