Must have items for new pup owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have items for new pup owners

melsdad is offline Junior Member

DefaultMust have items for new pup owners

We will be picking up our female yellow lab Miley on June 18th. I need to go shopping for supplies for our new addition to the family. So far I have a crate. I still need to put a divider in the crate. It is large enough she will be able to grow into it. Any reccommendations on the divider? I planned to use ¼" plywood.

Also a few questions:

What type of first aid items should I have on hand for possible cuts, and scrapes?
    What size collar does a 8 week old pup wear?
    What toys are reccommended?
    What is the best cleaner for puppy accidents in the house?

I'm sure there will be more to follow, but this is all I have for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

I love Natures Miracle for accidents. I use it on the carpet, hard floors, crates, everywhere. Each time I have gotten a pup I buy a big jug to refill my small squirt bottle. Great stuff.

MurphySullyHogan

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

First aid items: neosporin, liquid bandage, stretchy self-sticking (non-adhesive) bandage, eyedrops, hydrogen peroxide, benadryl. But with a pup that young, before you use anything, call the vet! However, in time you'll find that the peroxide is useful (causes vomiting if - I mean when - they ingest something they shouldn't), as is the benadryl for stings. Also cotton balls - real cotton not synthetic - can be soaked in milk and fed to a dog if he'she has eaten something sharp; the cotton winds itself around the sharp edges and helps to prevent perforating the intestines as the objects pass. This is only for small objects and don't do this if there's a danger that the object in question might cause a blockage. In that case, go straight to the vet without delay. There are a number of places you can get a dog-specific pre-made first aid kit or I'm sure your vet will be happy to make suggestions.

Collar: I honestly don't remember what size Toby wore at that age. Standard dog collar small (not XS, like for toy breeds or cats) should be fine. She'll outgrow it quickly.

Toys: kongs! Also the orbee toys and a number of other products from Planet Dog are very popular in our house. Any chewy toys that are extra durable, stuffed toys generally get shredded by most labs (though I am aware of some exceptions). Nothing with small bits that could be ingested and cause a blockage. I personally also recommend against rawhide. I know many dogs who do fine on it, but Toby gets explosive diarrhea when he's had it and I've never even given Chamois the opportunity to find out if she reacts the same way. Also it can be a blockage risk.

Cleaner: enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution.

Congratulations on your new addition, I'm looking forward to pictures! By starting with a crate, you're definitely starting out right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

I think they are a small in the collar if I remember correctly. As for toys...kongs are awesome and dogs love them! Nature's Miracle is a great cleaner and helped save my carpet a few times (esp. as a young pup with accidents).

tismom is offline Senior Member

A small adjustable collar, up to 14 inches max, will save money on multiple collars!

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Anything by Kong. Wubbas, Dr. Noys stuffed toys, stuffable kongs. Hampton has a Go Dog Baby Dragon that has lasted well. It's still in one piece and Hampton is almost 9 months old. You won't need it for awhile but I love the Furminator. It really pulls out the loose hair when they're shedding.

Congratulations on your pup! Look forward to seeing pictures.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Another vote for Nature's Miracle here. I've gone through more of it than I care to think about. The flexible nylabones are good for puppies too but when they get older they can eat those so you'll have to watch.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Our crate came with the divider in it. Congrats on the new addition!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I have found EMT gel to be a great first aid item. The EMT gel with bittrex will stop licking cold without a cone. They will ignore "purchased" toys in favor of "stolen" toys like socks, boxes, furniture.... Nature's Miracle is great stuff. We use it more for the ancient cat than we ever did for the puppies.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Get a bigger collar right off the bat, one that is 18-22" and it will grow with them. Don't waste money on anything smaller, really.

Must have: Toys, lots of them, bowls (stainless steel), leash/collar and tags (we recommend Boomerang pet tags online), crate (36" comes with its own divider in the box), a large bag of whatever food the breeder is feeding, baby pool for playing outside.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast