Crate Advice

Thread: Crate Advice

LisaB is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Advice

I'm looking into getting a crate for Charlie. I like the Vari Kennels (airline looking ones) better than the wire crates, but some reviews weren't so good, with some saying that their dogs escaped from them. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who uses this kind of crate and what problems, if any, they have had with it.

Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Hi Lisa! We have both types of crates... Ollie prefers the more open wire crates, while Henry prefers a more enclosed crate. So, Ollie gets a Midwest wire crate and Henry has a VariKennel Ultra. (He used to have a Noz2Noz SofKrate but after Ollie chewed the zipper off two of them, we went to the VariKennel Ultra. )

I haven't had problems with either crate, though I do zip-tie the corners of Ollie's wire crates... just in case.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have a wire crate that I used for both of mine. They both liked the openness of it so they can see everything. I never tried any of the airline looking ones so can't really speak to them. I do like the wire one since they boys seem to like it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have at least 5 of each type of crate, depending on the dogs that I have (I board and train retrievers). I have never had a problem with either kind of crate. I was recently in a car accident though, where I had two dogs in wire crates. I do not know how Hoss (a 85# male labbie) lived through it, as he went right through the back of the wire crate. Other than that, the only concern I have with a wire crate, is a dog chewing on the wires. I know two Goldens that broke their canine teeth off biting through a wire crate (it was however a heavy weight crate, and the dogs were super hyper about the retrieving work going on outside). Some people claim that a plastic crate is too hot in warmer climates, but most of the plastic crates I have I have drilled holes through to provide additional ventilation in the top, and sides. (The drill bit was a special 2 inch hole type bit).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

LisaB is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! It's so helpful to be able to hear what is working for everyone else. You guys are great!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

The only problem I have had with the plastic vs wire, is my dog didn't like he couldn't see out the plastic one, and dug all night in it. He is fine for traveling in it though. In my opinion, He looks more comfy in the metal crate too.