Wall of humans protecting dogs at Dog Park.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall of humans protecting dogs at Dog Park.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultWall of humans protecting dogs at Dog Park.

Wish I had a camera with me.

We went out to the big dog park yesterday, 40+ acres, river for the dogs to fetch and swim in. As we proceeded around the 1.5 miles trail through the park, we see what looks like a wall of humans standing in a circle with their backs to the center of this circle. Periodically, someones dog seems to be approaching the circle of humans, some running, some moving very slowly and cautiously. The humans react and prevent the dog from entering the circle.

What the heck? Some new game that got developed?

As I continue approaching, I decide there is a wounded rabbit, or other poor animal in the center that is being protected, or perhaps a dead one.

Then the truth gets revealed. Nothing is being protected inside the circle. Its the dogs outside the circle that are being protected. Inside the circle is a Snapping Turtle. The shell length was about 16 inches in length, and SHE was not happy about having her egg laying activity disturbed.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Wow!
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

georgie is offline Senior Member

That would have been something to see....,wish you had your camera Ed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Wow and those snappers are very dangerous. I used to feed a huge female at our pond and she almost took my finger one day. I decided then that I'd use a stick or tongs to feed her. Good thing they were protecting their dogs!!!!

labby is offline Senior Member

wow those suckers are nasty

Laura

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We have a ton of them in our pond, and occasionally they come up in our yard. I hate them, they kill the baby ducks and geese. It is great that everyone was protecting the dogs; I worry about Bauer and put him inside when I see them in the yard. He would be very interested in a turtle and get hurt in the investivation.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

What a sight! I'm glad the people were able to make a wall and protect the dogs. They have powerful yaws! When I was young I worked in a tropicarium there they had snappers. I'm surprised you have them up there Ed, thought those were typical south states animals.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

Cool! I wish you'd had your camera too!
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emma the Lab View Post
    What a sight! I'm glad the people were able to make a wall and protect the dogs. They have powerful yaws! When I was young I worked in a tropicarium there they had snappers. I'm surprised you have them up there Ed, thought those were typical south states animals.
    Snappers and Painted Turtles here. The Painted or Box turtles are much more common, but we have plenty of snappers. I am pretty sure they could snap a dogs leg bone down near the wrist or ankle, and do severe damage to the nose. They tend to make a nasty hissing noise when they attack or try to let the intruder know its not a toy. I don't know that it would be enough time for a dog to pull back though.

Heard this morning that the Snapper decided she didn't have a great place to lay her eggs and went back into the river.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

That was a fairly good sized Snapper. When I worked for the Bird Sanctuary, we used to trap them regularly. The largest we named "Bubba" and used him for educational purposes. We figured that he was close to 80 years old to get to the size he was (about 24 inch carapice ...top shell). While I am not sure they could snap bones on a dog, they certainly could do a great deal of damage to the nose, and flesh on the leg. I guess, if you do get bit by a Snapper, you are supposed to shove your hand deeper into their throat (exact opposite of what you are inclined to do). Snappers are made to hold on and resist something trying to get out of their jaws.

One reason Snappers are so nasty is that they have an incomplete plastron (bottom shell). So, unlike Box turtles or Painted turtles, they can not close up completely and are therefore vulnerable to predators. Because their typical habit would be to grab a hold of something and then pull it under water, on land they are especially "defenseless"...while they make think they are "defenseless" I would give them a wide path!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast