Looks Like Surgery for Maverick

Thread: Looks Like Surgery for Maverick

DefaultLooks Like Surgery for Maverick

Had our annual check up yesterday and the vet felt it was time to have a few lumps removed that we been keeping an eye on from Maverick He also has a skin tag on his eye that will come off too and while were at it the teeth will get done too providing the lumps don't take to long as they don't want to keep him under for very long.
    Halle and Mavericks check up with heartworm meds, lepto boaster and Halle's allergery meds 616.00
    Estatimate for Mavericks surgery 1338.00. Good thing there is a zero balance on the visa card Not for long though LOL

Liz Halle and Maverick

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Prayers for Maverick that all goes well.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Where do you live? That sounds awfully high.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good healing thoughts for Maverick.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Maverick's upcoming surgery.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Maverick.

We are in Ontario and vet is a rural vet I think if I had our vet close to home it would be a lot more I was a little surprized at the cost I wasn't expecting as much. I am hoping they remove at least four of his lumps plus his eye. I am not looking forward to this

Liz Halle and Maverick

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We are in Ontario and vet is a rural vet I think if I had our vet close to home it would be a lot more I was a little surprized at the cost I wasn't expecting as much. I am hoping they remove at least four of his lumps plus his eye. I am not looking forward to this
    That price seems high for a rural area -- maybe average or even a little below for NYC or LA? But for a rural vet? ??

I'm a big believer in using a Coll/Schll of VetMed's Teaching Hospital. Their diagnostic and surgical facilities are the best; their clinicians are above average in skill and abilities. AND, I find their fees are lower (by 20-40%) than those of run of the mill vets in Topeka plus their skill level is far higher. They've saved the lives of each of my Labs for conditions that would have been missed by local vets.

The VetMed Teaching Hospital at Guelph requires a referral from your vet in order to provide services -- maybe not as likely in this case? But in case you want the link, it's: Hospital Services - Teaching Hospital | Ontario Veterinary College | University of Guelph

Ontario is such a huge province I'm not sure if the following is at all a possibility for you.

The two stateside facilities probably closest to you if you're in the southern part of the province are those in Michigan and upper New York state.

Possibly Michigan State's or Cornell's VetMed Teaching Hospitals allow self-referrals, I'll ETA (edit to add) those links, too. MSU is good. Cornell (along with Tufts and UPenn) are widely considered to be among the top Teaching Hospitals in the world. UPenn allows self-referral, not sure if MSU or Cornell does. You can see in their attached links below. (As best I can tell from reading, MSU's CVM-TH allows self-referrals BUT does want medical information from the vet; Cornell may not be as fussy.)

Referral Policy — College Of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University

The Companion Animal Hospital at Cornell University

Quite possibly you'd save no money at all by going to Cornell or MSU. BUT you'd have the assurance of having FAR higher skill and treatment and a better prognosis.

AND, for the info of others, the links to all VetMed Schls/Colls Teaching Hospitals in the USA and Canada are listed in:

VETNET

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 05-31-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob for all the information

Liz Halle and Maverick