Advice please...i want another one

Thread: Advice please...i want another one

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice please...i want another one

I have always wanted lots of dogs. DH is staring to weaken towards getting another one. Harvey is now 2 so i think it is a good time. However, i need to think about what is best for Harvey. After his ED op, the surgeon is adamant that he should not take part in 'rough' play. Harvey still loves 'rough' play with his brother, whom he sees everyday. As a result, Harvey is kept on a lead at all times when he is with Seth.

I work from home 100% of the time but that doesn't mean i am with the dogs 100% of the time (my office is in the loft), i travel occasionally for work and have travel scheduled during the next few weeks/months. DH takes time off work when i am travelling.

Houses in the UK are not huge so it would be difficult to keep the dog separated, and I wouldn’t want to separate them.

There is a 2 yr old Yellow lab bitch being offered for rehoming. DH would like to get an Irish Wolfhound.

Should we wait until Harvey is a little older and less likely to engage in 'rough' play? (exactly how old??!!)

Is boy/girl a better mix than boy/boy?

Does anyone have experience of the Irish Wolfhound? Do they make a good companion for a lab?
    I can’t stop thinking about the yellow lab, but she will be the same age as Harvey, and whilst i try not to think about i have to consider that we could lose both of them close together which just about breaks my heart even to think it, not sure i could live it.

Any advice welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I should probably point out, DH is a dog lover. He has always been the more sensible of the two of us when it comes to having dogs though, i would have the house over-run with dogs where as he is more practical. When i say he is starting to weaken, i mean that he is realising that we have a lifestyle that is suitable for us to have multiple dogs.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

I had Laddie (10 yrs old) for about 6 yrs when I got Sadie (2yrs old) last fall. I thought they would play and run around in the yard etc. Nope, not a drop of bitey face, running, playing wrestling anything. Sadie is a very very laid back, low key, never plays, content just to hang around lab. But when my bother's lab Mack (1.5 yr old) comes in to the mix, it is Laddie and him who wrestle and bitey face until their tongues are on the ground. They will play outside and if they can't get outside they'll play inside. Running into you and anything else in their way. All in fun. The whole time this is going on, Sadie is content to sit and watch. So in my case, I don't think age or male/female matters exactly. But more the energy level of each dog. I am by no means an expert on this, this is just what I've noticed here Don't know if this helps or not?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Well IMO he can't be that sensible if he doesn't want another Lab !

Stand firm and get that yellow ! I was nervous about introducing a 5 month old to my then 7 Jasper but it all went swimmingly.

Strangely however, Jasper's favourite dog park buddy is a GD named Lola ! He can stand underneath her LOL

brody is offline Senior Member

you can always lose your companion animals close together - no matter the spread as life expectancy in our animal friends is just like life expectantcy in people- an average

just warning you planning for death is tough unless you leave a very significant gap - and even then the younger animal can be the one to die first

if you don't want him rough housing much I'd go for a more mature animal myself
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I always wanted a second lab but could not afford it until recently. My Nellie is about 10 years old and a cancer survivor who was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I rescued Bailey last October. He is about 8 years old. I am so happy with them both and think it has been good for them to have a pal. Even though they are seniors they can play pretty rough sometime but they seem to enjoy it so I let them go. Nellie is pretty independent and will go off on her own in the house as long as she knows where I am. Bailey on the other hand is a Momma's boy who follows me everywhere and must be touching me at night. LOL
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mine are 4 and 18 months. They play ROUGH. Really rough. There are times when it is clearly more than Diesel is interested in and he will cut it off. They have a very good time but it would be a problem if one of them was dealing with a physical issue.

If I were you I'd choose dog #2 carefully with low energy as a priority. Or maybe look at another breed (smaller dog or low energy).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks all for the advice, i keep thinking about the yellow lab bitch but i know in my head that it probably isnt going to be a good mix. Also, it is a private sale and i am a little suspicious about it. I think an older dog is probably going to be the best idea, or wait a few more years until Harvey is older.

Good news is, Harvey's brother always comes round on Sunday and spends a few hours with us while we all have dinner etc. Since Harveys diagnosis/surgery, the dogs have been kept on a leash at all times. Today we let them off for a little while and they just laid down together, no rough play!!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I don´t recommend you having a permanent playmate because another young dog will certainly want to engage in rough play (bitey is not bad but crazy running is). Homer also had ED surgery and is about the same age as Harvey (he´s 2). He definitely has cut down on the rough play on his own, I can definitely tell you that almost every time he decides to rough play with Misha I hear a yelp and he comes back limping on his left arm.

Misha has calmed down also but of course everytime she has a a chance to rough play she does, so now I am the one who plays bitey and chase with her. Homer just follows me.

Maybe an older and calmer dog could be a good company (say a 6 - 7 year old), but a young dog will only get you into trouble.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Mine are 4 and 18 months. They play ROUGH. Really rough. There are times when it is clearly more than Diesel is interested in and he will cut it off. They have a very good time but it would be a problem if one of them was dealing with a physical issue.

If I were you I'd choose dog #2 carefully with low energy as a priority. Or maybe look at another breed (smaller dog or low energy).
    ^ this^ Sammi is 4 and we now have a new " granddoggie" who comes and plays freq. Howie is 6 months old- they play rough also- many hours of bitey face for the duration of the stay! Sammi more then keeps up with the pup, so I would be real careful about getting a pup- maybe an older dog. Good luck with your decision.