Can Dogs Sense Things?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Dogs Sense Things?

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan Dogs Sense Things?

Does a dog sense when you aren't feeling well and just want to lay around and do nothing all day? I am not feeling well at all...I barely have a voice and a sore throat and a pounding headache that is finally starting to go away. I didn't walk Bailey as much as I usually do or play with her much today because I feel like crap. She has not bothered me once to go outside and play or just nudge me for no good reason. She has been laying on the couch with me or on the floor right next to the couch and has been the perfect dog all day. I am so glad she is well behaved right now because I couldn't even tell her "no" if I wanted to because it just comes out in a whisper. I was just wondering if dogs can sense this kind of stuff. I don't get sick often so I never noticed this from Bailey before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I think they do. Bauer is the same. I don't get sick very often either, and honestly I don't think I have been sick since we got Bauer. My mom lives 9 hours away, but comes here to get chemo every 3 weeks. She gets extremely tired, and Bauer acts completely different when she gets like that; he won't leave her side. Normally he follows me around like a shadow, but when my mom isn't feeling well, he is her companion. This weekend we are visiting my parents, and Bauer is following me around as normal. I know he senses when people aren't feeling well. He knows that my mom is fine this weekend, so he is hanging with me instead.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear you are ill, hope you feel better soon.

I believe strongly that they do know, my previous dog knew i was pregnant before I did (I found out at 3.5 weeks). She was a huge dog, we got her from a rescue the day before she was due to be PTS and had had her for about 3.5 yrs at this point. When we got home, she would always greet us by jumping up for a kiss, her feet would rest on my shoulders and she would lick my face all over. On this particular day, i came home from work and she just ran at me and sat at my feet. She never jumped up at me again. Throughout the pregnancy, if my DH put his hand anywhere near my tummy, she would come over and take his arm in her mouth (gently), and remove it from my tummy.

I needed surgery last June, was in pain for about 4 weeks afterwards, Harvey was a gentle little thing all that time and would just sit by me all day, when i cried he licked away my tears, he had just turned one at that time. I truly believe they know how we feel. And i am glad to have them by my side.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

montoya's is offline Senior Member

I know they do! My previous lab, Nikki, would constantly stay with the family member whom was sick, kids, mom or me, and would not leave them until she deemed that they were all better. we affectionately called her "nurse Nikki" it was really amazing to watch her with the sick person. She would not want to be petted or anything but would lay down near them and if allowed lay in bed with them, then after a few days when the person was felling better Nikki would deem that all is OK and resume her normal routine.

Dogs can sense when a epileptic is going to have a seizure, prior to the person even having a clue that something is going to happen.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm sure they do too. Healing thoughts to you.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

lisa is offline Senior Member

I think they do..hope your feeling better soon

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

They ABSOLUTELY do. I have so many stories with Duchess, my heart dog, who used to work daily with me in the hospital. She not only knew my emotions, but was very in tune with her patients. She always seemed to know when someone needed extra love!

Hope you feel better soon. Meanwhile, curl up on the couch with that pup!

MurphySullyHogan

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs in general and Labs in particular are quite empathetic. Sorry you are sick!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I believe they do as well. Cybil always knew when I was pregnant before I did. If I was sick she would just lay with me. They know. Just somehow they do. My friend's shihtzu can detect when her blood sugar is low. She has diabetes and if her bs drops below 4 he starts pestering her and will not leave her alone until she gets her meter out and checks her blood.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

labby is offline Senior Member

absolutely

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast