Harvey the guard dog........not

Thread: Harvey the guard dog........not

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultHarvey the guard dog........not

It was a rare evening, DH and I went out to a party. MIL had our DD for the night but Harvey was left at home. This is a rarity. Anyway, we went out, were not planning a late night as DH has a golf comp tomorrow. I drove so DH could have a couple of pints. We pulled into the drive at about 11:30 pm and i was surprised that i couldn't see Harvey at the patio doors (he normally hears me pull up), we managed to close the (squeaky) drive gates, open and close the garden gate, walk across the garden and get to the patio doors, still no sign of Harvey. I peaked through the glass and could just see the tips of his feet hanging over the edge of the sofa at the other end of the house. I unlocked the door and we were inside the house before he even noticed. He then 'poured' himself off the sofa to come and see us. I feel sorry for any burglar that tries to get in my house....not, i may as well leave the doors opened for them!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Well, come on . . . it was 11:30pm. He was tired, and had probably stood vigil all evening. I think you just caught him at a weak moment. He had been on alert all night, and just relaxed for a minute . . . or not. Bauer isn't a very good watch dog either.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    Well, come on . . . it was 11:30pm. He was tired, and had probably stood vigil all evening. I think you just caught him at a weak moment.
    Of course!! That explains it! He must have worn himself out patrolling all evening.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Sounds like my 2. The number of times I come home from work & they don't hear the car right outside or me coming into the house. So much for having a GSD that went to police academy. No wonder she got expelled!

mamazano is offline Member

I had to laugh when I read this, because of a similar situation we had. I woke one night to loud voices outside, deep voices and a high pitched one. At first I just thought it was the neighbors arguing but this sounded much closer, like it was right outside the bedroom window. Worrying they might be getting violent, I got up and peeked through the blinds. There, right under the window, was a man on the ground screaming in pain, with two other men hanging over the privacy fence shouting at him. They had a tasar! I hurriedly called 911.

Comes to find out one of the men was an off-duty cop who had caught the guy breaking into cars, chased him down the street and stopped him with his tasar. His brother-in-law, who had been out with him night fishing, actually crashed through our fence trying to climb it.

Our Golden Retriever? She slept through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mamazano View Post
    .....it was right outside the bedroom window. Worrying they might be getting violent, I got up and peeked through the blinds. There, right under the window, was a man on the ground screaming in pain, with two other men hanging over the privacy fence shouting at him. They had a tasar!
    Goodness, that must have been scary!! Glad it all turned out OK in the end.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Sounds like my 2. The number of times I come home from work & they don't hear the car right outside or me coming into the house. So much for having a GSD that went to police academy. No wonder she got expelled!
    ^^^ THAT is hilarious!

Ok on his behalf, he heard you and knows you don't like all that barking and jumping when you come home, so he thought he would be a good boy until he was called!

It's not the destination, it's the journey!