This gave Me the Creeps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This gave Me the Creeps

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis gave Me the Creeps

About a week ago when school got out, I had taken the boys to campus near the baseball fields to let them run a bit but mostly walk since I didn't wanna risk them getting too hot. So we are walking on the dirt road towards the fields when this car comes up. So I got the boys to the side, had them sit. So far so good. I didn't recognize the car which gave me a moment of pause since our baseball team and women's softball team use that road as a shortcut. I know most of their vehicles and the coaches too.

So this strange car stops and this guy (didn't recognize hime either) says oh they are so cute. Men almost never use the word cute. Normally I try to get Tal and Barney to behave but in this case they both growled. They were on leash but I think this is one case I woulda let 'em loose had this guy got out of the car. And since both Tal and Barney were not happy with this person, I just let them growl. He left pretty quickly. I dunno, maybe nothing, but still. I become more and more convinced that dogs sense things we human types cannot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Trust those dogs!! They have a much better sense. Scary indeed.

MurphySullyHogan

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I tend to believe that dogs do have that sense, when something doesn't feel right.

a couple of months ago, I was out doing some gardening. My house sits way back off the road, and it is in the country. Houses not very close to each other at all. Well I had my 2 younger children outside with me (20mos, and 4yrs). This car drives up my driveway, and a hearing impaired woman gets out of the car, and 3 men stayed in the car. She claims she was selling software to teach signlanguage to people. I told her I wasn't interested. She carried on, and Pitch got out of his sit, and stood next to me and the kids with hair standing on end. He never does this. I told the woman again, I was not interested, and asked her to leave. She got back into her car and left. It really freaked me out, but was happy that Pitch was so protective. The same dog that can't even catch a fly if he tried.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep, always trust the dogs!!

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah! Put me in the "trust the dogs' instincts" camp. Definitely! Those types of encounters give me the willies, too.

Seamus and Flynn

patm is offline Senior Member

If my dogs ever growled at anyone up close, I would definitely trust them. On the other hand, they'll alarm at SU or myself if they catch site of us down in the garden and not realize who we are! Come to think of it, even then they don't growl - yep - definitley will be careful if they growl at someone.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

They will both bark occasionally at someone but they only growl in a case like this. This is the first time Barney has ever growled at someone...only the second time Tal has.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

And YOU know what their "caution" growl is.
    There is the growl that simply says "I'm not sure of you, I don't like you"
    And there is the growl that emphatically says "STAY AWAY"

Well done, your boys.

Seamus and Flynn

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with you Guy. Dogs have a sense about things. I always trust my dogs. Well done boys!

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

When I was single and lived alone, I taught my 2 labs the command "watch 'em". They thought that command meant to bark. However, it sounded more ferocious to a stranger than to just say "speak". Weird, I know, but it always made me feel better. Never had to use it, but had it in my back pocket in case.

MurphySullyHogan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast