Java

Thread: Java

javasmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultJava

My beautiful girl has lost 3.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks, since her 6 week post op x-rays!! I thought for sure she would be gaining wait while she recovers from her knee surgery because of her decreased activity level, but instead she's lost weight. I changed her food prior to her surgery to TOTW, cut back on her food and increased her carrots, green beans and yogurt, cut out most of her peanut butter except as a treat once in a great while and I am walking her 3-4 times a day, 25-30 minutes each walk as part of her recovery. She's 9 week out from surgery #1 and doing awesome.....surgery #2 is next Thursday, so we'll be starting all over again.
    Here's a pic of my pretty girl that I took yesterday in the yard (it's on my cell phone so not great quality).
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DonCoryon is offline Member

I'm confused. It appears by your post that she is getting more exercise and less food. "3 - 4 half hour daily walks", and you "cut back on her food". I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like that is reason she is losing weight.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Well, yes...I know why she is losing weight, but other than the walks she is restricted to her crate because she had knee surgery on March 25, and is having a second knee surgery next Thursday. Java is used to ALOT more exercise than that!! She was only allowed potty breaks for the first 4 weeks of her recovery, and since then we have had to build up to where we are now with walks. At 4 weeks she was allowed 3 10 minute walks a day, at 5 weeks it was 15 minute walks, etc.....With all of the crate confinement I was sure she would have gained weight, but she hasn't. She started off before surgery at 75 lbs, now she is down to 72 lbs. She is only allowed those walks, the rest of the time she is in her ex-pen. No playing or even walking around the house, so those walks are the only activity she is getting, where when she's healthy she's used to ALOT more and she eats alot more. Java is a big girl, I expected her to gain weight during recovery, that's all. I certainly wasn't asking for advice about why she was losing....just excited that she has lost weight instead of gained because being lighter is the best thing for her knees at this point. I'm hoping to get her to 68 lbs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

That's great! I hope her 2nd surgery goes as well as her 1st.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sounds like she's doing great!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

justine is offline Senior Member

Awww pretty girl! Sounds like she is doing well - which is good to hear! Good thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery #2!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

That's great news - so glad step 1 is done, good thouhts and prayers for the 2nd operation