Sago Palm ..poisonous

Thread: Sago Palm ..poisonous

denise123 is offline Member

DefaultSago Palm ..poisonous

My husband and I bought our home 1 yr ago...we absolutley love it! very quiet here...lots of retired people as neighbors. It has a beautiful swimming pool in the back which we use daily, in the summer! The couple that we bought the house from were meticulous in the care of the home..inside and out...I'm rambling on here...so to make a long story shorter...we pulled all the shrubs, flowers, ivy..ect..that were around our pool.It was just too much work...every weekend we were doing yard work and not able to enjoy the pool like we want to...We are going tropical...palms, cactus..ect...the kind of landscape that doesn't require much water or maintenance...well my husband bought 25 sago palms and after some research I found that they are deadly to animals and humans alike!! Needless to say ..I had a fit and the sagos are no longer with us! I had 25 deadly palms sitting in my backyard for 2 days...lucklily Bailey didn't get ahold of them!! Scary!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Glad you researched it and especially glad Bailey didn't eat any.

Bella

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Good for you for being vigilant. But... Hate to say it but you probably over-reacted and got rid of a bunch of expensive plants. Sagos are poisonous, but not the plant itself, only the berries when they set fruit. So you can either make sure you only have male plants that never set fruit, or you can remove the female plants' flowers before they are fertilized. I've had several sagos for years without incident with my dogs, I just make sure I stay on top of not letting them set fruit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Really...?? Oh well better safe than sorry!! Let's keep this our little secret and not tell my husband! LOL We ended up trading the palms to a palm tree dealer...he didn't give us cash...he gave us store credit...which was fine with us...We've gotten all kinds of cool plants, palms and cactus for our backyard!!
    “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

I won't tell your husband, I promise. And safe is probably better. I just happen to love my sagos so I did a bunch of research on which part of the plant is actually poisonous and decided to keep them and make sure I never get berries. The thing to keep in mind is that just because a plant is "poisonous" doesn't mean the WHOLE plant is. For example, tomato and potato greens are toxic - they're both members of the nightshade family - but the fruit and tubers are most definitely edible. Sometimes it's worth doing a bit of extra research, sometimes it's a good idea just to be rid of the plants in question if you're not certain, depends on how much you like the plants and what the actual risk is!

How do you know if you have a male or female plant?

There's a slight difference in the geometry at the crown of the plant where above where the leaves come out. An internet search (or better yet, a well informed gardner at a nursery) will illustrate it way better than I can describe here.

Ok...thank you for the info!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Believe it or not, daffodils are poisonous to dogs too - not sure if it's the entire plant or just the bulbs. I dug mine out before Dozi did - I agree, much better to be safe than sorry.