Not So Proud of Parker!!! Please Help.

Thread: Not So Proud of Parker!!! Please Help.

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot So Proud of Parker!!! Please Help. I'm A Nervous Wreck

OMG I am trembling. One of my husband's friends dropped by unexpectedly tonight and he had his daughter with him. She was 11 and a very sweet child. I kept the dogs in at first but she said sheliked dogs and I let them out. Parker jumped up on her dad just once and we yelled for him to get down. He brought the girl his jolly ball and she was going to throw it for him so I said let's go in the back so he will have some room. So I took her around back and I threw the ball. He got it and brought ib adk ran around a bit. She threw it for him and he ran to get it and brought it back Then she went out in the yard and started running around and he went up and jumped and jumped and jumped on her, tried to nip her nose, wouldn't stop. I had to go out and get in front of her and make him stop. I then let her sit on the swing and calm down she was sobbing, I said let's go back around front and I started to walk her around and he started the jumping again. She yelled he bit me. My heart fell to my feet but I made him go inside and took her around front. I check out her leg, didn't see anything, even a scratch so obviously he did n't really bite her. But he scared the poor girl to death. And I was so disappointed and angry with him. Is there something I can do about this behavior. Now like I said he is as good as gold with my grandons but they are smaller and do not run like that and we have told them not to run in the yard. Please help. I'm so afraid of him biting someone else and having to be put down. My heart would be broken. He isn't really biting, but nipping but a nip is a bite is a nip and I know that.
    Last edited by mombear; 05-27-2010 at 11:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

How old is Parker?

mombear is offline Senior Member

He will be 3 in July.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

How old is Parker? sometimes a child running will incite (probably too strong a term) the prey drive in dogs. Young dogs may jump and nip at children. They see them as playmates not leaders. I have a 6 year old granddaughter and we have to remind her not to run around the dogs as it excites them and someone may end up hurt-usually not the dog. It gets better as the dog gets older. We never leave her unsupervised with the dogs. You may want to leash Parker when children visit until he is older and better able to control impulses.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry this has happened. I agree with the others about the kids running. The poor dogs just think it's another playmate.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You really need to get into an obedience class with him right away. You don't have adequate control over him.

It is all about prey drive and it is hard wired in dogs (just usually less so in Labs) to chase the thing that runs away. Given how oral Labs are - once excited he'll use his mouth. I am very sure that this was not about aggression at all.

Again - you need to be able to have him obey your direction to stop/sit/down when you need him to. That he continued to act up with this child tells me you don't have control here.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.