I hope you don't mind I just had a question for you. I searched and found where your Emma has had a hemangiopericytoma. I think I saw where the first time you had it removed and then it recocurred and then you did surgery and radiation? Just wondering what made you decide what to do with it? My Laddie had surgery about two weeks ago and I just got the results today and it is a hemangiopericytoma. It was a grade 1 with a miotic rate of 2 out of 10 and my vet said he got clean margins. From searching the internet, I know they are slow growing and don't often metastasize, but can come back. My vet offered either we wait and watch or he could refer us out for further surgery and/or radiation. The problem with Laddies HPC is location. It is on the right side of his snout where his whiskers are. If it comes back we can do further surgery and remove a pie shaped wedge and then bring the edges together, but there is limited skin in this area to work with. As far as radiation, I just don't know how detrimental it would be to his health. I work with cancer patients and those who have oral cancer and are treated with radiation, most of the time, have to have their teeth removed because the radiation is so damaging to them. Then they have to use a feeding tube to eat. I have no idea if this holds true for animals as well, that is if radiation is so damaging to their teeth/jaw area. My inclination is to wait and keep a close eye on it. So I was just wondering what helped you make your decision as to what route you took?
Lots of good thoughts and prayers for your boy
Good thoughts to Laddie.
Prayers and hugs to your boy. Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out well.
Poor Laddie. Prayers for you and your boy.
Prayers for Laddie
I hate when they get old, I hate having to make decisions, it just sucks. Considering the following: grade 1, good margins, mitotic rate 2 of 10, and location. Unless my vet tells me anything different when we go get stitches out, I think we are going to wait and watch like a hawk. So I sat Laddie down, gave him a good ear scratchin and told him he had the "C" word, but that he could not, under any circumstances leave me anytime soon, I'm just not having it. He responded with a good tail wag and a wet sloppy kiss. Ugh, makes my cry just thinking about it.
Sorry Kristen didn't see your post until now! Have spent time with my girl in the garden and long walks and not been online during the days. The first time Emma had HPC it was on the leg (the most common place for this type of lump), when she was 11 years. It was removed with clear margins too. That lump never recurred. I was soooo happy with that because the vet told me not to be hopeful, because it "always" comes back.
But unfortunately she got a new lump on the throat a year later and which also was a HPC. When It was removed I hope it wouldn't get back, but I could feel it already after 2 months and that was after my research I came in contact with the first place in Sweden that did radiation treatments. I asked about the possible reactions and side effects and the possibility for the lump to recur after radiation. In the area Emma's lump was/still is it would be the throat that reacted, skin or muscles, in the long term but that shouldn't be a concern with the few treatments she got. I was recommended that she got 6 treatments 2 times a week for 3 weeks, due to her age. If we had gone with the correct way it would be around 18 treatments and she would have needed to stay at the hospital during the weeks for 4 weeks. I knew that would not be ideal for her due to her separation anxiety from me. I was told the HPC wouldn't recur.
But it did, even if it took a few months longer than before. Instead after 2 months, it took 9 months and she had her last surgery 10 months after the radiation. Between the other 2 was only 5. Unfortunately it's not an option to make any more surgeries according to the vet. Too dangerous and too much scar tissue to work with now. You know they say it often is located on a limb and is slow growing.... Emma's on her throat and grows rapidly. It's pretty huge by now, deeply located around the jugular vein. Makes me very very upset and angry. Questioning myself if I could have done something differently. That lump is her only problem really, except a bit of arthritis otherwise she is not acting her age. If it wasn't for that lump she could have a couple of more years, now it might just be around 2 months if it continue to grow in this rate. Vet can't really say what's going to be affected or when. But It will probably affect her throat and swallowing ability/ breathing when it grows even bigger. (For now she's comfy but coughing/clearing throat after sleeping sometimes). Was really, really hard 3 weeks ago at the vets hearing they couldn't do anything more for my girl. When you come to a point YOU can't help your baby with money or effort makes it so hard. They have so much research now a days and I just wish they had come up with something they just could inject in the tumor and it would shrink away.
Vet just kept saying 14 is a good age, not all labs make it so far and it's because of your efforts... He might wanted to make me feel better, but nothing can make me feel better. Not this time. I'm heartbroken. I know when that day comes, my heart will stop too. She is happy and enjoying life now and it makes it even harder to accept. As long as she is comfortable, happy, eating and drinking without being in pain we are going to stay in this life.
Sorry for my long respond. I think you make the best decision watch it and if it recurs (Which it hopefully doesn't with clear margins) then you go from there. Smooches and healing thoughts for sweet Laddie boy.
Last edited by Emma the Lab; 05-28-2010 at 10:14 AM.
~Veronica and Nikki~
Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....
Nikki 6 months
I'm so sorry to hear this. I love logging on to JL and seeing your posts because your siggy pic is such a beautiful pic of Emma. Always makes me smile. Did you change Emma's diet at all after she was diagnosed? Or give her any supplements?