Question on aging and mobility issues

Thread: Question on aging and mobility issues

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion on aging and mobility issues

Sam will be 8 this December. For about the last two months, he's been a little slower when he gets up after laying down for a while. He is still extremely active and playful, runs a lot every day, and doesn't ever seem to be in any pain (but I know how they hide discomfort). But when he gets up at night after he's been laying down, he's slow to get up and walks slowly for a while (less than 10 minutes). Sometimes he'll have a slight limp in one of his rear legs. This slower movement and limp (the limp only happens two or three times a month and lasts for a just few minutes) is so slight that it was hard to tell that I was even really seeing it. But my husband noticed it too, and now I'm worried.

Is this part normal aging, just a general slow down? Or should he see the vet? I still think of him as my young boy, but he's getting grayer and I hate to think of him getting old. We would do anything for him, and even if this is normal aging, I'd like to know of any supplements (glucosamine, etc.) that would help him. Thanks for any advice.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

From the mom of an almost 12, 10 and 8 year old retrievers, I'd say that is pretty normal. You could take him to the vet, since he knows your dog's history, and give his opinion on things you can do for him to help. We got a ramp for our Xterra when Jo's shoulders would periodically bother him, so all the dogs use this. We also try to keep them as light as possible which helps with joint issues...Glucosamine and chondroitin together work as a great remedy. I'm sure there are others with more helpful suggestions, but just offering my 2cents.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

georgie is offline Senior Member

It sounds like normal aging. When our lab Shadow was about 8 we got a ramp so it was easier for her to get in our SUV & truck. I am sure your vet will advise you too. We used glucosomine & chondroitin & had her loosde a few poiunds. It is hard to see the signs of aging, isn't it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Keep as much weight off as possible, keep him moving and exercising every day. Glucosimine might help. Tank also gets Adaquan shots every month but I don't think your guy is ready for that yet.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Of course each dog is different but if the stiffness and/or soreness that appears when he gets up is due to a bit of arthritis then some meds may help a bit. I would just talk with your Vet about it on your next regular visit.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Texas Tank View Post
    Keep as much weight off as possible, keep him moving and exercising every day. Glucosimine might help. Tank also gets Adaquan shots every month but I don't think your guy is ready for that yet.
    I was going to suggest this, too. The less weight bearing on the joints the better. I would get with your vet to see if glucosamine/chondroitin would help and if not, there are many safe medications a bit stronger than that to help. Adequan can also be very helpful, but as Sandie said, he probably doesn't need that yet.