Those with poop eaters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those with poop eaters.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultThose with poop eaters.

What I want to know is. Do you think they eat the stuff that has been pooped and eaten already. It can't be good for them can it.? I wonder when he smells really bad if it has been recycled to many times.

Every time Erns Prednisone is increased he poop snacks.I have tried feeding pineapple and adding other foods, even calling it bad poop and threatening it with a stick. Neighbours love this one.
    No matter how many times I clean up he still comes in licking his lips, then plonks himself down next to me on the sofa. Often burping.
    It is impossible to watch them 24 hours a day and find every poop. Yesterday I caught him snacking on his secret stash behind the hydrangeas.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-24-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Good luck!

A couple comments.

1) Behind the Hydrangeas? Are you sure it was poop? I hope so. The plant and leaves are toxic to canines. If he is munching on some of the leaves or mulch from them on the ground, maybe the symptoms are explained that way.

2) Most will not like this one, but here it is anyway. Most if not all of us believe in positive reinforcement training, but sometimes a heavy hand has to be used to get through their thick skulls. I would not use this method to stop jumping, or other misbehaviors, but eating poop has the potential of harming the dog more than the tool. Put an e-collar on him, and let him know that poop is something that he does not eat.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Never been able to "treat" the poop with foods or other things to curtail the eating. Rookie normally just eats it in the winter, but since he's been on a "diet" with green beans, he's been prone to snack even in the spring.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

"Bad Poop", LMAO!

I just have to watch Barley and Bailey like a hawk....as soon as they lick their lips, I know what's coming and I say their name sternly and they walk away. Sometimes I have to run out there and say "no" and chase them away from it.

I have to tell you this gross story about last weekend......my husband throws their poop bags from their walks into the backyard until he can go all the way out there and put them in the trash. Well, Barley ate a whole plastic bag of poop and was working on another!!!!!! We gave him peroxide and he vomited it right up! Talk about disgusting!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Never been able to "treat" the poop with foods or other things to curtail the eating. Rookie normally just eats it in the winter, but since he's been on a "diet" with green beans, he's been prone to snack even in the spring.
    Dani it is coming up for winter so I wonder if it is this. ??? He doesn't do it then starts again. The only thing different is the Pred so not sure if it is this. He never eats it on a walk.

Ed. It is poop. He wont touch it if it has been rained on. Evidence he had been there a couple of times. It is as if he knows he isn't allowed to do it so hides it in there. Never poops there otherwise. I have tried positive reinforcement. While in the yard I treat if he goes to get it and leaves when I tell him too. It is when he sneaks off. We don't have E collars here. The only way to get on in is if you bring it in luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbbmom View Post
    "Bad Poop", LMAO!

I just have to watch Barley and Bailey like a hawk....as soon as they lick their lips, I know what's coming and I say their name sternly and they walk away. Sometimes I have to run out there and say "no" and chase them away from it.

I have to tell you this gross story about last weekend......my husband throws their poop bags from their walks into the backyard until he can go all the way out there and put them in the trash. Well, Barley ate a whole plastic bag of poop and was working on another!!!!!! We gave him peroxide and he vomited it right up! Talk about disgusting!!!!!!!!!
    OMG...it was like take out for him.

It is horrible. My friend said she knew he did it, but seeing him was another story. She let him lick her face until then.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo has picked up the habit since living with the big backyard and such, so he wears a soft muzzle whenever he goes out there and I try to be vigilant with the poop pick up. I walk my guys twice a day and they always poop on their walks so that makes it easier, but my moms little bichon goes in the backyard.

I LOVE Baloo's muzzle, we tried a few different varieties but this one is awesome. Doesn't seem to bother him like the others, slides on easily and I don't have to worry about him eating anything he shouldn't out there, not just poop. Its nylon on the sides with mesh in the middle, tried to find a pic of it online but couldn't and can't remember the brand name.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

My kids eat bunny and deer poop...for most part I have given up trying to stop that. There are just too many critters cruising around my property.

However I do notice an increase in eating their own or another dogs poop in the winter. Poopsicles I call them. I like Kate's suggestion of a soft muzzle for hard core 'sicle suckers if an ecollar is not an option for you (I use an ecollar).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Hard core sicle-suckers... omg lol Karen!!

Barley's take out!! LOL!!

Henery is my poop eater, thank GOD Ollie is disgusted by it. Henery would clean up his own and Ollie's, given half the chance. I know their poop schedules pretty good, and can almost always anticipate who's gonna have to poop. Sometimes I'll put them out separately, and then they play together after they've gone.

Nothing put on the poop ever worked for us, so I just have to pick it up as soon as it leaves their bums. Sure beats having to clean up poop-vomit.

I have given up on the bunny poop though...

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer is like Ollie, disgusted with poop. Bauer scoots his butt back and poops inside the long grass leading to the woods, just beyond our lawn. Our french bulldog poops in the yard, but always in the same place and we clean it up quickly. Bauer avoids that area like the plague, if we are playing and his ball goes near Lucy's potty area he make a big loop around it and walks away. He stepped in poop at the dog park once, and you would have thought that he had stepped on broken glass; it freaked him out. I would definitely use an e-collar or muzzle if I had a poop eater; actually I wish I would have thought about the muzzle when Bauer had a penchant for eating rocks as a puppy. That is a great idea!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast