How much benadryl? PLEASE, need to know now!!

Thread: How much benadryl? PLEASE, need to know now!!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow much benadryl? PLEASE, need to know now!!

How much can I give to my 87 lb Buddy? Something happened to him, we've already been to the vet on an emergency visit, but vet said he was fine. HE'S NOT FINE!! He's becoming lumpy and breathing hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I give 1mg/lb body weight as per our emerg vet for wasp stings and allergic reactions.

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook says you can give up to 2mg/lb every 8 hours.

If he were mine, I'd take him back to the vet.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Henery&Ollie's mom View Post

If he were mine, I'd take him back to the vet.
    agreed

anytime there is breathing issues, they need to be seen by a vet

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

What Felicia said, and sending good thoughts for Buddy. Update when you can.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

He seems okay now. my husband took both dogs for a walk this morning, like every morning. It's very humid and much warmer than it has been up to now. Bud hates the sun and heat. Anyway, everywhere we walk there are drainage ditches in the fields. We don't normally let the dogs go in them, but evidently Jim wasn't paying attention, and Buddy went tearing through a ditch that had shallow water in it. It HAS happened before, but never had a problem. He said Buddy was thoroughly enjoying himself, I'm sure the water felt good, but either there were farm chemicals in the water in a higher concentration than he's been exposed to before, or maybe he got stung by something, which is what I think happened from the sounds of it. Jim said when he came out of the ditch he was rolling like crazy on the gravel road, not like a leisurely roll, but more urgently.

Then, he didn't want to come back home, just wanted to lay down. Jim had to force him to finish the walk home. then he got him into our pond to clean him up, but he just wanted to lay down. So into the pickup and off to the vet. He did seem to recover during the ride, and seemed okay at the vet, so the reaction must've taken a while to really come on. Once he came home and into the house, he could not relax, just kept pacing around, rolling on the floor, the furniture etc. But then I noticed his face was looking lumpy and swollen, and he was panting harder than before. So we got him in the tub and washed him with dog shampoo, and he started to relax immediately.... which is not normal for a bath! Gave him 3 Benadryl (25 mg ea) and now he is relaxed and resting comfortably. Thanks Felicia for your quick reply.

It's over 20 miles to the vet, and I didn't want to waste time going there again if we didn't need to, esp since he wasn't our normal vet, and he seemed to think Buddy was fine. Our normal vet isn't "taking emergency calls this weekend" !! We are in a rural area, and it's not good to have vet emergencies after hours I guess Thank God he is okay.... knock on wood....

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

The rolling around frantically, then laying down and refusing to move--is exactly how Teddy reacted when he got multiple stings from an angry yellow jacket.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

sounds like you did the right thing. Hope he gets to feeling better. It sounds like bites or stings.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

lisa is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Buddy

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Buddy! Hives can be really scary, and you feel so helpless. Hope he is feeling much better and doesn't have any more issues.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Hope he's OK. When Theo had his allergic reaction--which was very similar to what you described--Benedryl didn't help; hope it does work for Buddy. They gave Theo a shot of pred at the emergency vet; he was fine for a while but started to swell up again after it wore off, so do keep a close eye on him and let us know!

BTW, we never did find out what caused Theo's reaction, but bee/wasp sting is my guess, too.