What's up with that Rush???

Thread: What's up with that Rush???

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

QuestionWhat's up with that Rush??? EDIT

EDITED!!
    Ok so DH came home and she played just like usual. When I take them out, Rush doesn't want to do it but when he goes out with them, she plays. So now I'm really puzzled. Rush being my heart dog, is my constant companion. She is never far from my side, so now why doesn't she want to play with me? What's your take on this?

In the past 4-5 days, when we go out to play ball, Boo is her usual ball hog but while Rush acts excited and barks jumping up and down as usual, she doesn't give chase for the ball. A few times I pitch it directly to her she'll grab it then but she doesn't want to chase the ball with Boo. She hasn't been limping or acting different, eats well (duh, she's a lab) and there is nothing to indicate that there is a health issue. Any ideas?? She's 7 yo and in excellent health and weight. I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Rushpuppy; 05-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Could she have a toothache and doesn't want to hold the ball?
    Although when Mitzi had the tooth abcess, she was still willing to eat marrowbones. ( I noticed the swollen side of her face.)
    A little change in behavior always makes a lab mom worry.

patm is offline Senior Member

Sometimes the older dogs just don't want to compete with the younger dogs anymore. They've had enough body slams and would rather just let the youngins do their thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

My Sadie (2yrs old) and Laddie (10 yrs old) do this. Since I got Sadie last fall, Laddie either won't run after the ball at all or will run then stop and watch Sadie pick it up. Same thing, he's not injured in any way, I really think he knows she is faster and going to beat him (plus the body slams) everytime so why bother? If I want Laddie to play ball, I have to leave Sadie inside.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If I want Laddie to play ball, I have to leave Sadie inside.
    Yes, that's true of Mitzi too.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Maybe that's it. Maybe Rush is sick of Boo being a ball hog and shoving her aside to get it and decided she doesn't want to play. I go ahead and pitch it for Boo and Rush just watches on, sometimes grabbing the ball when Boo brings it up and brings it to me. It's funny, but she has never been really driven like Boo. Boo would run herself into the ground playing ball where Rush is happy catching it a few times. For Rush it's just a game, for Boo it's a competition.

PS I checked Rush's teeth and all seem in good order, no redness, chipping, swelling etc.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the AGE X PERSONALITY view.

Puff is not a competitive Lab.

When she was younger, she'd run after a training dummy and, if she'd get to it first (which was often the case because then she ran faster than almost all other Labs) she'd juke, twist, twirl around to keep other larger Labs from taking it away from her all the way back in retrieving.

But as she's aged, her non-competitiveness has increased so that if there are several other Labs eager to run after and retrieve a training dummy, she won't even run after it.

As I've written this, the question occurred to me as to whether size is also a contributing factor. Puff (63 lbs) is smaller than almost every other Lab she's ever been around. So the other Labs could often out-muscle her and, as she approaches her 9th birthday, she doesn't have as much interest in competing at a disadvantage.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

What does Rush do if you take her out to play ball alone?

If she's still hesitant to run I'd wonder if she was sore somewhere, but if she plays fine by herself then I'd be more inclined to think that she just doesn't want to compete.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    What does Rush do if you take her out to play ball alone?

If she's still hesitant to run I'd wonder if she was sore somewhere, but if she plays fine by herself then I'd be more inclined to think that she just doesn't want to compete.
    I was wondering this too. Ernie stopped playing with Gemma. She is a bully so figured he is sick of her. When she went away for a few days he wouldn't play then either. He was sore.

Yesterday he didn't play and I know he isn't sore so guess doesn't want to compete.

Hope Rush is just having an off day.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

we use 2 balls and throw to max(2) really far then to abby (7) closer in ...................that way both get exercise but abby doesn't feel that she can never win .....................Max is much more driven than she is .......................and if she isn't fast enough he will actually get both balls ..............so she can't slack off and now toby is trying to get into the act .......................but if he gets the ball then he plays keep away with the big guys