He looks great for a six year old!

Thread: He looks great for a six year old!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHe looks great for a six year old!

I don't get this. I have had MANY people say this when I tell them Rock is 6 years old. What do people expect a six year old dog to be? Fat and lazy? I don't find Rocky to be anything special (well he is special to me but that's besides the point LOL!), and six years is still in prime time for a dog.

I just don't get it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boonesmom is offline Senior Member

People are surprised when we tell them how old Boone is, too. They always say he acts like a puppy--well, that is probably because he is a big goofball. I agree, Boone is in his prime !!!

boone and joann
    oregon

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

People often ask me how old Ruger is because he acts so crazy and wild but he does have a bit of age showing in his face now, and people get confused about it.
    Rock looks great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Dogs mature at different rates. Some ARE old at 6. Others are just getting started at that age. My old boy (now 11 years old) showed 9 months out of the year when he was 6, and wound up the number 8 labrador in the nation (conformation) at the end of that year. He finally began to slow down and look his age within the last couple of years. Enjoy your boy's "youthful" attitude and just smile at those that don't "get it". :-)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I guess I am just used to dogs who are youthful and active for years. Dryf was still fetching and running around at 8, and though he couldn't last as long at 10 he was STILL in terrific shape and running (brought him for short runs with me). My first foster was going for bike rides with his new family at 8 and running like the wind. So to me this is the norm!

And though my foster Ryls is 3 and has more "crazy energy" and will run quick for short burts, Rocky has more "long lasting" energy and can go all day (but at a more steady pace)

I do take it as a compliment though and am thankful!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

georgie is offline Senior Member

Rocky looks great. 6 is not old at all.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Yep...for Huckle 6 years old was just getting started. I didn't really see him slow down till he was 11.

I am not sure that will be the case with Guthrie....he is so much calmer and more laid back than Huckle.