A little story illustrating why this appt is so important to me...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little story illustrating why this appt is so important to me...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultA little story illustrating why this appt is so important to me...

This morning I just about had a heart attack:

I was getting ready in the bathroom, and Angus and Simon were in the bedroom outside the door. I was talking to them when suddenly, Angus leaps up and starts barking that bark: The very excited one meaning, "Something or someone is right outside our door, and I am just seconds from having a nervous breakdown." (rolleyes)

I left the bathroom to calm this outburst (because we are on a newly-instituted zero-tolerance policy for outbursts such as this at any time, for any reason).

What I saw in the bedroom doubled my heart rate in the instant I saw it. It was one of the things I fear most, for its potential to become an impetus to an all-out brawl just by its mere presence. It was...a chipmunk.

Yes, it was a chipmunk, hanging on the outside of our window. Angus had his nose just inches from it on the other side of the glass, clearly very close to a complete meltdown. To make matters worse, this window is beside our bed in a fairly enclosed space. If they both ended up together, in a small space, up close and personal with a chipmunk, chaos would almost surely ensue.

But thankfully, Simon had not yet noticed the chipmunk, and was just whipping his head back and forth as if to say, "Where?!? Where?!?!"

All this happened in a matter of a few seconds. I leaped over the bed and closed the blinds on the chipmunk's window, then on the window next to it for good measure. Angus was not giving up that easy, though. He bolted into the Florida room, Simon on his heels, to see if he could get a look at his nemesis out the other window.

I got the living room and said, "Angus, come!" This only doesn't work if he has already gone over the edge...and it worked this time too. And once you call Angus in, Simon is never far behind. I was able to get the Florida room doors closed, and everyone's pulse went back down.

Sheesh! But honestly: How not normal is this, to have the entire household go into a tailspin over a stupid chipmunk on the window!?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

WOW! Good job the window wasn't open!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Happens in my house all the time. And it doesn't even take a living thing to start it up. One shadow flickering beneath the front door, across the room and Scamp has everyone in the house terrorized. Fortunately, they all zero in on the misperception of danger and not one another. Well, I take that back. There can be a bit of loud jockeying for the "I SAW IT FIRST!" position. Doesn't matter what the imaginary "danger" is, if I call out "IT'S JUST THE MAILMAN!" they all calm down. Doesn't have to actually BE the mailman, but those words mean "everything is cool" to my guys.

Weird.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

because we are on a newly-instituted zero-tolerance policy for outbursts such as this at any time, for any reason).

This bothers me. Is this for you guys or everyone? Either way, someone doesn't like dogs and I would be looking for a new place. I know you guys just moved in there not too long ago, but still. A dog is going to bark and there is nothing that can be done about it. Hence, Hi Mr. Chipmunk!

Do you really think it would have escalated if Simon had seen the chipmunk also? Or just 2 dogs barking at the window?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

No, no no! The new zero tolerance policy was instituted by me. It is part of a program to only allow and encourage calm behavior in all circumstances. So, where previously they might have been allowed to bark at someone passing by on the street, each instance is addressed now. And it seems to be helping...it is much easier to circumvent barking than it was just two weeks ago.

It might have just been two dogs barking at the window, but that is my point: I can't be sure if it would have escalated or not, and that is what is making everyday life a little difficult. They have gone at it over a squirrel on top of the fence before. Squirrel, chipmunk...very little difference in their book, I would imagine. Couple that with this happening in an enclosed space, and I figured it was just a small step to redirected aggression.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

ahhh....thanks for the clarification!

How's the (DAP?) thingy working?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

joflake is offline Senior Member

It happens at my house too. All you have to do is say "chippy" or "squirrell" and it's a battle to see who gets out the door first. Luckily, I don't have your issue at my house or I'd have a heart attack too. I'm glad you got them to settle without a problem.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie reacts the same way when the neighbor man rides his bicycle past the house....she goes ape shit crazy!! I swear she looks like she has a mohawk from the middle of her back to the base of her tail.

Glad your boys didn't get into a scuffle over Mr. Chippy!

The DAP seems to be working well, thanks for asking! Also thanks for reminding me to mention that at our appt today.

I tell you what, Mr. Chippy is on my last nerve for many reasons. 2010 is apparently the year of the chipmunk, and I have little holes in my garden everywhere to prove it. It seems like everywhere I look, there is Mr. Chippy. There must be millions of him. Mr. Chippy is really cute, but he and she have eaten an awful lot of my seedlings this year. So, Mr. Chippy is on thin ice with me anyway... Mr. Chippy better watch out, or one of these days I will let them out the door. LOL (not really)
    Last edited by AngusFangus; 05-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Happens in my house all the time. And it doesn't even take a living thing to start it up. One shadow flickering beneath the front door, across the room and Scamp has everyone in the house terrorized. Fortunately, they all zero in on the misperception of danger and not one another. Well, I take that back. There can be a bit of loud jockeying for the "I SAW IT FIRST!" position. Doesn't matter what the imaginary "danger" is
    Yup, that.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast