Crate Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate Question

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Question

I always crate Bailey when I am not home and put a towel on top of the tray on the bottom of her crate. But...about a month or so ago she started biting at the plastic pan that was in her crate. Then I came home from work one day and it was broken into pieces and somehow scatered throughout the kitchen in big pieces. I could have put it back like a puzzle if I wanted. So now I have nothing on the bottom of the crate.

So I think towels are the only thing she won't tear apart (blankets, beds, pillows...if left alone don't stand a chance). So I put a thick beach towel at the bottom. The towel lasted about 2-3 weeks now she has learned to shred the towels. She has ruined 2 towels. Now I do not feel comfortable leaving a towel in there in case she swallows part of the towel or something (I worry a lot).

Should I buy a replacement tray for the bottom? Any suggestions on anything durable I can put in the crate? I plan on uncrating her the end of June (I am a teacher and have 2 weeks off before my summer job, so this would be a good time to ease her into being out of the crate). But then I worry that if she is ruining things in her 42 inch crate, what will she do to my house?

I don't know what to put in the crate tomorrow when I go to work. Is it cruel to just put her in there with nothing? The crate is in the kitchen, but the bottom of the crate looks uncomfortable.

In case anyone is wondering she does get plenty of exercise...I walk her 45 minutes before work, 45 minutes after work, and play 2-3 games of fetch a day. On top of this we practice our training almost daily. I know not enough exercise is a reason why some dogs cause destruction to things.

Hope someone has a suggestion for what I should do for tomorrow! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd replace the crate tray and then give her a frozen kong daily before you leave. Stuff it with veggies/kibble/yogurt/PB/goodies - and she'll work on that for a LONG time. She simply sounds bored to me.

And - maybe she is ready to be out of the crate. Do you leave her out overnight? That would be my first step.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I'd replace the crate tray and then give her a frozen kong daily before you leave. Stuff it with veggies/kibble/yogurt/PB/goodies - and she'll work on that for a LONG time. She simply sounds bored to me.

And - maybe she is ready to be out of the crate. Do you leave her out overnight? That would be my first step.
    Thanks for the advice....but I do already leave the frozen kong and a nylabone in the crate. She sleeps on the floor in my bedroom on her own bed and has been since she was about 5 months old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I also would buy a replacement tray. In my opinion, if she is destroying things in the cage, I would worry what she would be doing to my house outside of the crate.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by momofalab View Post
    I also would buy a replacement tray. In my opinion, if she is destroying things in the cage, I would worry what she would be doing to my house outside of the crate.
    agreed

I also agree with the kong or what I do wtih fosters is throw half of their breakfast in the bottom to keep them busy for abit. Also, she may need more exercise in the morning before being crated (she is at the age where her requirements may be greater for exercise)

I personally would not leave a nylabone in a crate unsupervised but I am pretty anal/weird/overprotective about stuff like that.

ETA: ok yeah, a 45 mins walk is pretty good for the AM!! eek!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I will look into purchasing a replacement crate on-line. I could probably get a game of fetch in before work. The thing is she is not out of control hyper (anymore)...she has calmed down drastically about 2 months ago. Even when I get home from work she calmly comes out of her crate, sits waits for me to pet her, and runs to the door for our walk. Throughout the day after work she is not crazy (well not as crazy as she was months ago). Being with her everyday, the exercise she gets seems to be enough and keeps her under control when I am home. But since she is ruining things in her crate, maybe it isn't enough.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I believe they do make STEEL pans for the crate bottoms. Look around online.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Ithink the steel crate pan would be a good idea. It sounds as if she is getting enough exercise and attention. Some on here have "lifers" in that they have to be crated every time they are left home alone. You may have a lifer in that regard! But I think the metal pan would be your best bet. Good luck. I know it can seem frustrating but hopefully she will outgrow this!

hauts is offline Member

I would purchase a different crate. I had a metal cage crate for my first puppy and she folded one of the corners over and chewed a hole in my carpeting. She hasn't been crated since she was a year old, but my current pup I bought a new crate for. I got the solid plastic crate so there is no tray on the bottom. Either that or if there is a metal tray for the bottom I'd look at getting that.

And I would be cautious about uncrating her if she is doing this inside the crate. I would work on leaving her alone inside briefly to see how she handles it. Like you said, ease her into it. Maybe from there you can extend the time you leave her. You wouldn't want to come home and find your house destroyed or worse, she ate something that can kill her.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Pans on all three of my crates are metal ! If you go down that route see if you can get a none slip mat for the pan although on second thoughts it might get eaten.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast