Help with our new 6 week old lab pup
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with our new 6 week old lab pup

mcles is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp with our new 6 week old lab pup

My daughter was given a 6 week old Lab Pup for her 16th birthday from a friend. We have had several Labs before, but all have been well over the age of 6 weeks. I have a very secure place for her outside, her dog house is on the porch which is under roof and is off our breakfast room, then she has about a 10 x 12 patio area, and a 5x7 area if grass area, which is all fenced in with a chain link fence. Her name is Shady, and she is eating well, I am feeding her Science Diet Puppy food . She is very content and very playfull when you are with her.......but at night she whines a lot and loudly, and scratches at the door facing rapidly. After whining and barking for about 10 to 15 min she will sleep for a while, and as soon as she awakes, she starts in again. I feel so sorry for her, but I feel like goiing out to comfort her each time, or bring her in and then back out , that I am only prolonging the process of her getting use to being out there by herself. BUT I do not want to be doing the wrong thing. Is this a normal procedure, and how long does it usually take.
    Are there any sugestions to what I could do to make it easier on her, and us. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

6 weeks is REALLY early to have a pup. I think the norm is 8-9 weeks of age. Why was the pup given so soon? Also, why does she sleep outside?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am not allowed to respond to this thread. I think I was abusive last week when a new pup owner had issues with her puppy odor. So I will leave this one to someone else.

Excellent questions by Dio's MOom
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mcles is offline Junior Member

First of all , I have no control over her being picked up at 6 weeks and given to us, but I am resposible for doing what is right for our new puppy. I do not think that sleeping outside is the problem, she is doing the same thing in the house , which is where we had her for the first 2 night....when you go to bed, or when you leave the room that she is in, she cries and barks. She is outside, because that is where she will be , she is not going to be a house dog. We will take very good care of her, but she will not be a house dog. I do not have a problem keeping her in the house since she is a pup, but I do not want to get her use to being in the house when she would have to go out eventually anyway. She has a very nice place and are to stay, and is as close to us as she can be without actually being inside the house. thanks for you concern, but I will not be made to feel like an irresponsible dog owner, just because she is on the outside, and becuase some one else brought her to us at to early of an age.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

I'd scratch at the door too, if I was forced to live outside!
    Why do you even have the dog if it's going to live outside??

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I will not say what I want to say here.

If you need an outside statue, I saw a couple at Walmart yesterday, perfect for what you intend of your new dog.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Were your other labs outdoor dogs? Labs are very social, and typically don't do very well as solitary, outdoor dogs. She is whining because she has been taken away from her mom and littermates at a very young age, and she is lonely and scared. She needs to feel like she is a part of her new family, she needs to be inside.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

If you have had Lab's before then you should know that they want to be part of your family, it's their nature. I do not have a problem sheltering a dog outside with proper accommodations when you are not at home but if you intend for it to remain outside all the time then I believe you will have a very unhappy Lab who will become destructive out of boredom.A six week old is also very susceptible to the Parvo virus from being outside. Please do get the required vaccinations as soon as possible.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Are you serious?! You are keeping a 6 week old puppy outside by herself? Holy hell.

I vote for giving her up to a rescue. Poor thing.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast