Visit to CSU Cancer Center this morning with Fitzgerald--SURGERY IS TODAY
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit to CSU Cancer Center this morning with Fitzgerald--SURGERY IS TODAY

ClarenceandFitzMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUPDATED-Visit to CSU Cancer Center this morning with Fitzgerald--SURGERY IS TODAY

UPDATE: DH is on his way to pick up the patient. They called at 3:15pm right after they were done. They said he did great, and they were able to get all of the visible tumor. They were able to close the incision, it's a little tight right now but it will stretch as it heals. They called again at 4pm to say he was doing well, sleeping it off and we could pick him up after 5:15pm as he would be more comfortable at home. DH and I went out and got some more crate pads (all of them had been chewed up by Fitzy when he was a puppy!) and set up a crate in our room and one downstairs in the kitchen. I have a feeling the patient will be spending a lot of time in them! Just waiting for the UPS man to arrive with his Comfy Cone and DH to arrive back home with Fitz. Clarence played at doggie daycare today so he's knackered and enjoying the quiet! Thanks all for the good wishes, the power of JL is much appreciated. We need just a little more for a good grading. I'll let you know what the pathology report says (and when the baby arrives!).

We took Fitzy up to CSU this morning (not a bad drive, about 40 mins. with DH driving!). A really really nice facility. Tons of doggies in the waiting area, of course Fitzgerald wanted to say hi to everyone! Checked him in, got his "hospital collar"--like the bracelets they give to people with all of their info on them but in collar form. We were met by a senior vet student who took us into a room, took a history from us and gave him a full physical. She went to consult with a doc and came back with her about 10 minutes later. It was the doctor that I've been speaking to--so glad she was available! She was super nice, checked out the lump and said that he also had a lipoma on his chest (nothing to worry about).

I of course had my typed list of questions and she answered every one of them and explained the procedure. The lump is right on a vein that runs down his leg so she said that the vein will have to be tied off but besides some extra swelling at first, there won't be any future problems without that vein. They won't go deep into the muscle so the use of the leg won't be affected.

We talked about the possibility of having to do radiation and/or chemo. I asked about the new chemo drug, Palladia, and we discussed that as well (it's for specific types of cancer/grades, works well, in pill form). The pathology will take 48 hours to get back, so hopefully we'll know our next steps before I go into labor (although that could be tonight, so we'll see!).

They had an opening at 2:30pm for him, so we took it! The fire alarm went off right as we were signing the consent forms so we all went outside. It's freezing and snowing here today so the doc said she would take him and look after him so we could go. He didn't even notice we left! I cried a little when we got in the car--I knew I would. The surgery will take about an hour and then they give them about 2 hours of monitoring after that. We might pick him up tonight if he's doing ok. If not tonight, tomorrow morning.

He'll have bandages on for about 3-4 days and then that will be removed, with the stitches coming out in 2 weeks. No jumping, playing, walks (beyond 5 min potty walks), or going up or down stairs for 2 weeks. That's going to be a challenge!!! Clarence will be happy that Fitzy isn't allowed to bother him though! DH will have to be the enforcer of that, I think, especially with the new baby. So, please think good thoughts for Fitzgerald this afternoon and for the next few days until we get the path report back. We're praying for a smooth surgery and good report. Thanks!!
    Last edited by ClarenceandFitzMom; 05-12-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Leigh, Clarence and Fitzgerald

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts and prayers coming your way. Please let us know as soon as you hear how he's doing. {{{HUGS}}}

lisa is offline Senior Member

Lots of prayer and good, healing thoughts for Fitzy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Lots of prayers for the both of you. Keep us updated.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Fitz...
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

Wow, you are amazing, dealing with this so well when you're about to give birth! Please keep us updated!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

All the best thoughts to Fitzgerald and to you!! Please let us know how he's doing when you have an update.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Fitz..... please update when you can
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Fitz for an uneventful surgery and a complete recovery (and some peace of mind for you).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts your and Fitzy's way. Please update when you can. Oh, and good luck with the delivery! You sure have your hands full.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast