Fleas!! UGH!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas!! UGH!!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultFleas!! UGH!!

Anybody else in southern New Jersey dealing with fleas? My black lab, Breezy, has always had Frontline Plus and she still managed to get fleas! And now our 6 month old kitty has fleas too. Aaaahhh!! Our vet said that a lot of pets are coming in with fleas even though they are on Frontline or whatever. Most likely due to a really really rainy spring and summer.
    I am thinking of switching from Frontline to something else; another vet suggested Advantage (or is it Advantix?) I would rather not use ANY chemicals/pesticides on my pets but I have to do SOMEthing, this is driving me-----and them---nuts!!
    I've heard of a company called Fleabusters; has anyone used them? Are their products safe?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    ~Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

We use advantix and did not have any trouble at all...
    the rescue dog we took in was infested with fleas and 1 treatment with Advantix brought it under control within 12 hours.
    the kitty might be the problem..is she treated? i know cats need special flea stuff..they cannot use the same formula as dogs, it could kill them.

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

After I found the fleas on Breezy, at the recommendation of our vet, I put some Frontline on the kitten. The kitten is an indoor cat but we still had to protect him from the fleas that were on Breezy, so the vet prescribed the proper dosage of Frontline for a little kitten. I am not at all comfortable using this stuff on them. There has to be a much safer, non-toxic way to combat fleas and ticks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ok good because I almost made that mistake once and thankfully my son, the future Vet-Tech stopped me and told me you can't use it on cats.

I'm glad there is something that works. When I saw the rescue covered in fleas, I really worried my labs would pick them up but the Advantix kept them and the house, flea-free.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula View Post
    After I found the fleas on Breezy, at the recommendation of our vet, I put some Frontline on the kitten. The kitten is an indoor cat but we still had to protect him from the fleas that were on Breezy, so the vet prescribed the proper dosage of Frontline for a little kitten. I am not at all comfortable using this stuff on them. There has to be a much safer, non-toxic way to combat fleas and ticks!
    Oh but there is!

It's more laboursome and a pain in the neck, but at least its not putting pesticide on your pets. Many places sell all natural flea and tick shampoos, usually using neem oil and citrus oils, sometimes other things as well. There are also natural flea sprays on the market to be used in conjunction.

I think Baloo brought fleas home from the hospital, as poor Kiwi (cat) got them right after. Baloo doesn't have them, I think he just carried them home. Like a souvenir, I guess. Anyhoo, for this particular cat I cannot use pesticide based flea/tick products due to unrelated health issues (but realistically I won't ever use them again anyway). So, I picked up natural shampoo and bathed her in that, used the spray to follow up. washed all bedding in the house and vacuumed well, and then sprayed surfaces and carpet with the spray as well. Also use a flea comb on her everyday to make sure I'm not finding anymore due to hatched eggs, and continue with the spray every few days. She's flea free so far.

As I said, it's a pain, but so much better than pesticides.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

That's good to know, Kate

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DO NOT USE K9 ADVANTIX ON A DOG WITH A CAT IN THE HOUSE!
    K9 Advantix has a warning that it's toxic to cats.

I am in Central NJ and so far, knock on wood, have had no flea issues. I have heard that they are bad this year.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

I treat my carpets with Fleabuster powder once a year and it really works. It's nontoxic so it's safe to use.
    http://www.fleabuster.com/
    Last edited by Dukesdad; 10-07-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    I treat my capetts with Fleabuster powder once a year and it really works. It's nontoxic so it's safe to use.
    http://www.fleabuster.com/
    Is it diatomaceous earth? We used that once when the boys brought home fleas from Dog Day.

We have been doing like Kate with the natural flea repellant this year and, so far, so good. But when they came home last year with fleas, I tried for a few days to knock it out using baths, neem oil and diatomaceous earth, and I finally had to break down and give them Frontline. Don't know if I just didn't hang with it long enough or what. I really don't like using chemicals.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Is it diatomaceous earth?
    No it's a borate powder. From their site:

The Rx for Fleas Plus powder is milled to be extremely fine and is also statically charged.
    The 'fine' powder allows for easy installation while brushing into the carpet and for light application (very small amounts need to be applied for effectiveness).
    The 'statically charged' powder provides a clinging effect to carpet fibers. This allows very little to be removed by vacuuming, thereby providing long-lasting protection. It attaches to the flea larvae as they wiggle by. The effectiveness of killing (dehydrating) flea larvae is greatly increased.
    The Rx for Fleas Plus also has a neutral pH of 7.0. While being very safe for carpets, the neutral pH is actually more important in a pest control sense by not causing the targeted pest (flea) to be repelled from the powder. Roaches, ants, fleas, etc., can sense and avoid an alkaline or acidic substance, but crawl right through the neutral pH material.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast