More than one Lab? How close are they?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More than one Lab? How close are they?

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

SmileMore than one Lab? How close are they?

We've had Max (20 mo/old yellow) for three months. We wanted him to be a companion/playmate for Abby (6 y/o black). He has since been neutered and has become very affectionate to the entire family. Abby always has been a love muffin.

What's striking to me, and a visiting trainer, is Max and Abby are practically inseparable. If we take one of them outside for training, they both whine and carry on like it's the end of the world.

I'm not complaining....I think we got very lucky. It sure beats having to feed them in separate rooms. I'm curious if this is part of the Lab nature.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

We have 3 labs...each 1 year apart...Emma 4, Aidan 3, Ruby 2 and they are incredibly close.
    If one is at the vet or gets to go somewhere, the other 2 stand guard at the window and wait for their return. They do everything together...swim, play, eat, sleep, travel, field train...and they have the best relationship. Labs are extremely social like you said...and they love to be together and with their family. It is part of their nature.

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I have 3 (ahem 4 if kel is reading this). all of mine are close to me. they play and love each other, but when they are whining when one leaves and the others are left behind; i think it's because THEY want to go, too. all of mine will gladly leave the others behind to go with mom.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

My lab and golden are inseparable.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, all three of my labs are close as described, even with Duke my "non-lab". The only time they are at peace is when the family is all together, myself included. Whenever I bring one from the vet, the other three are there at the door for a welcome home and sniff him/her from head to tail and totally ignore me.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

I think it's the pack mentality at work as Freckles and Duke are a single unit.
    At the dog park if I want Freckle to come I just holler for Duke knowing Freckles will be right behind him, and Duke watches Freckles back at the park. Woe be to any dog that tries to pick on Freckles. Once years ago a Boxer jumped on Freckles and had him on his back. Before I could react Duke came flying in and quickly backed the Boxer off. No harm done.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

We have 2. Elias is 5 and Wyatt is just about to turn 1. Elias has no problem being without Wyatt, but Wyatt cannot handle being separated from Elias.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe View Post
    I have 3 (ahem 4 if kel is reading this). all of mine are close to me. they play and love each other, but when they are whining when one leaves and the others are left behind; i think it's because THEY want to go, too. all of mine will gladly leave the others behind to go with mom.
    This pretty much sums up how it is with us, too.

I am jealous of those people who have pictures of their Labs all cuddled up together on the sofa, spooning on the floor, etc. That would never happen at our house. They will both cuddle up to me if I'm down there with them, but I don't think either of them is that crazy about the other one.

Like you, we got Simon to be a companion for Angus and help burn some of his seemingly endless energy. I imagined that they would run around the yard together and be just the bestest of buddies. What I ended up with is TWO dogs to entertain instead of just one. LOL

They do play together some...they like to chase each other around the backyard sometimes. But cuddly cuddly? Not so much. And like Sandy's, either of them will happily ditch the other to go do something with Mom.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Seamus and Flynn are pretty much joined at the hip. They are both approaching 7 years old.

When Paddy was with us (6 years older than Shea and Flynn) he was pretty much a "stand alone" guy, although he did raise Shea very nicely.

Seamus and Flynn

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Misha and Homer looove each other, they do cuddle, lick each other, play, etc. I hate separating them, though I have to do it when Misha is in heat.

My old Brownie suffered terrible when my Dane passed away. She developed a terrible separation anxiety problem because she lived all her life with Muffin and the Dane. When both her sisters crossed the bridge it was terrible for her being alone.

That´s the only part I´m afraid of with Misha and Homer, that they won´t make it without the other, and given Homer´s problems I don´t know how long he will be with us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast