This stick chewing is driving me crazy!!

Thread: This stick chewing is driving me crazy!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis stick chewing is driving me crazy!!

Kate loves sticks. Of course living in the country there are always alot of them in our yard. I worry ever since someone's lab got a stick poked in the roof if his mouth. I think it was Monnie's Buddy. Kate runs with them & you know to try to get it is pointless. She just runs faster...away from me.
    So far I can distract her to something else but she is soon off looking for more sticks. Anyone else's lab loves sticks?
    She will play with her balls & bumpers for awhile but the sticks seem to be more fun..go figure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

georgie, when Ruger was little he ate TONS of sticks. He pooped a lot of wood. He did outgrow this.

Magnum still enjoys a good stick to chew up, but she lays down with them and doesn't swallow the wood, just destroys it into little "sticks".

Redirecting her to something else will probably be your best bet.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope she outgrows it soon. She still has the attention span of a gnat, so I will just keep an eye on her. But you know my heart is in my throat when she is running with one in her mouth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

What about bitter apple or something she doesn't like the taste of? Pepper?

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Oh lordy, Georgie, I know exactly how you feel. Henery couldn't give a stick the time of day, if you threw one for him to fetch up, he'll give you this Look like, "WT...? This isn't my bumper!!".

Ollie, on the other hand, always has to have something in his mouth and LOOOOOVES sticks. He will often carry one during our entire walk. When we moved to our new house, he was delighted to find that the Stick Fairy had left him an ENTIRE WOODPILE.

He's mostly a stick-carrier and stick-shredder (pulls the bark off and chews off chunks... I'm fairly certain that he spits out the majority of it) but I get so nervous because, like you, I think of all those labs who have gotten sticks wedged in their mouths, and I fear the dreaded blockage and gut-rippage.

Ugh. I feel your pain.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Daisy is stick crazy too! She loves nothing more then to cuddle up in the backyard with a good stick between her paws and chew away! I do my best to stop it, but alas she manages to get a few past me once and a while!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi was the same way, she loved sticks, there was nothing better in her life, well maybe a dirty sock, but it came in second place at best! Then one day she figured out she loved tennis balls more. I hope Kate soon finds something she loves more. Hang in there, but keep the puppy stories coming so it reminds me why I don't want another one quite yet! LOl

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Bruno has been obcessed with sticks from Day one, still is. When he was younger, twice I had to pry out a stick wedged across the roof of his mouth. I learned what that look on his face meant. Once he vomited a bunch of small twigs, enough to build a bird nest. There are a lot of trees here and no way I can keep sticks from him. The best thing to do is give him a larger piece with nothing sticking out to hurt him, like the ones in the pic of Ollie at the wood pile.
    With all the stuff labs eat, and the way they play full speed bitey face, and some of the stunts they pull, too numerous to mention, I have to believe that God gave each lab a Guardian Angel to keep them from killing themselves.