Counter Surfing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter Surfing

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

DefaultCounter Surfing

Can you break this habit and if so HOW???? LOL

I extended Katie's range to the kitchen and she wondered around for a little while, sniffed, and then straight to see if there was anything on the counter! The only thing that was there was a butter container I had just gotten out so I could get supper started and she tried to take it. Goofball.

I have had several large breed dogs through my 43 years including lots of fosters and this is a first for me.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Peg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I would search the site using "counter surfing" you will find all kinds of information. From what I have seen, some dogs you can train, some will get better, but for the most part those of us with counter surfers learn to keep things put away or wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back on the counter. Good luck - Di

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I have a counter surfer and I took a string and attached it to a bunch of pop cans with little stones inside (shake can) and the other end to a hot dog. She pulled it off the counter and it scared her so bad she didn't even try for the hot dog. Hasn't done it since UNLESS we are gone. Then we baby gate the kitchen off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Oh the hot dog and can thing sounds worth a try! I've got a counter surfer also. And there is no "way back" where he is concerned. Nothing is too far back for him to reach. My luck he would eat the string, though!
    I did try the old fashioned mouse trap. Just make sure that you point it toward the back of the counter so that when it snaps it can't snap on a paw. It works. At least as long as I leave them on the counter. As soon as I take them off he is back at it.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

With Ruger, the answer is no. He is my notorious counter surfer. If I leave the house I make sure there is nothing for him to get into.

He can even take a dirty dish out of the sink, using his paws, drop it to the floor very gently, and lick it clean. We caught him doing this, it's amazing.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I've read that mousetraps help to teach them, and some one used an air horn. I have no doubt in my mind that an air horn in the house would fix any behavior issue with HK. Fortunately I don't need to use one, but am confident it would work.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Mouse traps

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Well, as you can see from my post on the sponge, we are also dealing with this issue. The problem is...every time they get something off the counter it is a reward for them. I have tried everything with my Golden when she was a puppy and the problem first presented itself. Including a toy motion detector that set of a siren aimed at the sink!

The best thing I can tell you is train the "Off" command (and the "drop it" command for anything you weren't fast enough to stop) and keep your counters clear. Immaculate. Sink clean, dishes away, no papers, loaf of bread in the fridge or in the microwave, dish detergent and sponge in the cabinet...the best thing is to make the counter a really boring place to look for stuff. Its a pain in the butt, but hey...your kitchen will be clean!

FYI: On my golden retriever forum I remember this story of a golden who got a bag of potato chips and suffocated in the bag while the owners were out shopping. Stopping the counter surfing is important, but in the mean time, keep your pup safe!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

SeaWolfLabs is offline Senior Member

I have one serial counter surfer...the youngest, Ruby. And unfortunately, the behavior is rewarding. The prize items she scores off the counter are worth more to her than the consequences (my fault).
    I'm afraid a mouse trap could really hurt her or I'd try it. We've just gotten into the habit of keeping the counter clear and crating her when we're not home. (she is a lifer I think)

Aidan- UCH Kelrobins Yellow Brick Road aka/ The PorkChop

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Of my four, I have one counter surfer, Judy. I found that it's easier to keep the kitchen clean or locked than to set up various anti-surfing traps. I never had a surfer before, but soon realized that it's important to keep table, counter and stove clear ever since Judy took a bottle of aspirin off the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast