Adding a 3rd Lab... am I F***ing Crazy? :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a 3rd Lab... am I F***ing Crazy? :)

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdding a 3rd Lab... am I F***ing Crazy? :)

I have not been too active here in a while, it’s nice to see some familiar names !

My wife lately has been hinting around of getting a 3rd lab. We already have 2... Willow our black lab is 4 years old and Autumn is 3. So since we have both a Black and a Chocolate it only makes since that the next one will be a Yellow.

I don’t really want to go through the puppy stage again so I have been considering a rescue.

My concerns are some rescue dogs have shady pasts…not there fault, but I would want a dog that can integrate with our family between the 2 dogs we already have and out 2 young children.

I would like a meet and greet session or a trial period to make sure the new edition fits well with our family and I don’t think a 5 or 10 min session really is appropriate I would think more of a few days.

Would a rescue organization honor this? I would only want to be fair to both the new dog and my family. I would hate to have to give one back but if things were not working out I think it’s only fair that he/she finds placement in a home that better for him.

The only other thing is I guess we will have to replace our Queen bed with a King since the 2 dogs already think they own it…I can only imagine that a third one would put us on the floor!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Your concerns are absolutely valid & I don't think what you are asking is not an unreasaonable or unrealistic expection.

I know the rescue I got Lexi through (Labs4Rescue) and the one I am currently fostering for, both will take the dog back if for any reason the dog does not work out. I think most strongly suggest you allow at least several weeks for adjustment when adding another dog to an existing family structure. I know you say several days, but you'll want to keep in mind it will likely take several days for the new pup to come out of his/her shell.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

I completely agree on the few weeks but …I think I am more concerned on any aggressiveness between them. My Labs are pretty good with other dogs for the most part. I have watched both my brother in laws Labs and my sister in laws Boxer with out any issues. How ever a few times I have watched my father in laws dog is a smaller mixed breed, my doges have done well but there dog has been really aggressive towards mine ..with caution flags popping up all over my mind.

I am a seasoned dog owner and think I could spot a real issue..between a normal just not used to the territories pretty quick.

My dogs are pretty good they are both female and there is a territorial thing there but no matter what I take in I’m sure I will have a few adjustment issues with that…

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

No, you're not effing crazy A yellow would be a nice addition, and a King bed would be too (actually it's a necessity!!).

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Both of my labs come from rescue groups. Both of these groups dogs live in foster homes until they are adopted into their forever families. So while they might not always know about the dogs past, they do know if the dog needs to be crated/uncrated, good with other dogs/cats, can stay at home by themselves during the day, counter surfer, good with kids, etc. I would think any good rescue will be very willing to work with you and your needs and concerns. Many also require that if the dog ends up not working out that you bring the dog back to them (in an effort to make sure the dog doesn't end up at a shelter or worse). Good luck with your search!! And the king size bed is probably required.

Just another note…my labs have all the traits of a lab you don’t want…counter surfers…trash inspectors…diaper recyclers, ..Lawn diggers, and bed hog’s.. but we love them any way…so as long as the new one is breathing…he’ll most likely fit in

georgie is offline Senior Member

If getting a third makes you f**** crazy....then I must be too. We got our third lab 9 months ago & it has been fine. We just got back today from a week at the Outer Banks. Some minor (okay I am getting a new vehicle) adjustments but it has been worth it. We already have a king size bed so I just get a smaller area. But it has not been bad. I am glad we got the third.

kelli is offline Senior Member

I think all rescues want their dogs in a safe and happy home that's a good fit for them..i don't know of a single rescue who woudln't take a dog back at ANY time.. good luck with your tri-fecta =)

kelli, tucker and koda

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

Nah not crazy .

Just had to say. I recently adopted Morrison from the local pound. It was a pretty shady place that didn't have a whole lot of background info on the dogs. But I saw Morrison on their posts on craigslist. And I was sold I had to meet up with him. He has been here over a week and I have had not one issue with him. He is 1 1/2 years old. So I got pretty lucky with a really well behaved dog from the pound.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good luck with your search - fingers and paws crossed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast