Are Labs being Bred Larger?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Labs being Bred Larger?

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultAre Labs being Bred Larger?

I just got home from a lovely few days at the Potomac. Was very surprised at the size of the labradors. The 6-9 mos class the dogs all seemed to be 70-80lbs. I was very surprised at how big most were Is this healthy on the growth plates?

Was very pleased to meet so many breeders there. I have to say, Lab people are the best! I loved how everyone was so eager to talk to you about their dogs....it was so easy going.

Just a side note, I thought of "Labby Laura". Leader Dog was there from Rochester, MI. Thought of you instantly. They were going to do a seminar tonight, and blindfold people. Giving them a chance to feel what a blind person feels when they have a seeing eye dog. Wish I could of stayed for that.

All and all, I am looking forward to returning next year, and hopefully for a bit longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

I own one of those "large" labs! Out of 4 litters that her mother has had, she is the only one that has grown to what we call "giant" size! lol. She weighs 100 pounds and is just right for her sized body (we just visited the vet last week for our yearly check-up). But I am not sure that I would have thought that she was so large until we got her sister that is of the compact version - 75 pounds (same mother). Rudder looked normal size to us until we got her sister and we actually see the size difference now!

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

I think so yeah. I see huge 100+lb Labs occasionally. I see it in Bench style Labs and in working bred Labs.

Sawyer is under 70 lbs. And my dad especially swore up and down that he wasent purebred. Because Labs are supposed to be huge in his eyes. Then he met Sawyers parents.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

acesmom is offline Member

I wonder how much of the size change is breeding and how much is due to other changes. Maybe food? When we got Ace, we looked for parents of a reasonable size because we had heard of the possibility of increased problems in bigger animals. Ace's mom was about 65 pounds and his dad was 75. Much to our surprise, Ace grew and grew until he towered over his mom. At 9, Ace is now about 105 lbs. Granted, he should probably be about 100 lbs.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think they are being bred bigger and judges are awarding prizes to bigger Labs. Don't know why. The "typical" Lab certainly is above the guidelines for weight in the Lab standard. I wish it wasn't happening. Most Labs in the 1960s were not the size of current Labs.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Our black, Jackson, weighs 73 lbs and is a Canadian Champion. We were told that he'd probably never do well in the states because he's too small and he'd never get a major because the specialties really liked them bigger and heavier. We were told that there are "moderates" and "specialty" dogs but that it wasn't cut and dry.

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

Scupper's father who finished #12 in the country this past year is of the short compact model. He may weigh around 90 pounds, but he is short and stocky. His handler seems to think that the shorter labs are in favor in the show ring.

labby is offline Senior Member

Leader Dog (Bev) is there every year. They go stud shopping. I hope you stopped in and said hello to them.

Laura

momofalab is offline Senior Member

My boy is a full grown lab at upper 90lbs. (He has longer legs than a traditional bench lab). These dogs and bitches too...were the size of a full grown labrador at the 6-9 mos class. I wasn't the only one commenting on it either. So it came to a shock to a lot of people. I would be watching that class, people would walk by, ask what class that was, and when told, it was an eye opener. They were big and beautiful.

The other thing that I really enjoyed. There was this one breeder...(would have to look her up to get the correct spelling of her name), The way she interacted with her labs....they just fed off of her. She smiled from the time she entered the ring till the time she left. She is one person I won't forget. Everytime she lined her dogs up, they just had the happiest wiggle butts, and it seemed that her labs smiled as much as she did. What a joy this woman was to watch.

Leader Dog (Bev) is there every year. They go stud shopping. I hope you stopped in and said hello to them.
    ♣ Laura ♣
    Of course I dropped in and said hello. Even was able to pet a few of the furry friends

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

What was an "average" weight like, 100 years ago? Anyone know?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast