Moouuuseee!! Labs are terrible hunters NLR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moouuuseee!! Labs are terrible hunters NLR

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultMoouuuseee!! Labs are terrible hunters NLR

My neighbor loves to leave food for the squirrels and the squirrels love to climb the fence to eat it and then drop all the reaminings on my garage... so now I have a mouse that has gotten inside my loft and decided to share living spaces with us.

Misha and Homer are the lousiest critter hunters I have met, they donīt even make the effort to sniff out where the mouse is, let alone get into hunting mood. Two nights ago the mouse was "screeching" and the lazy dogs didnīt even bother getting up to investigate. Last night the mouse started scratching under my aquarium. They didnīt care either...

I miss my old cocker! She would detect there was a critter long before we could notice. She saved me once from a rat attack (she was intensely sniffing behind a plant, I kneeled to see what she was sniffing when the rat attacked me. She immediately jumped and grabbed the rat in the air - she was my hero)

Anyway back to current mouse. I wonīt risk using poison by any means. I have been leaving those pads where you put some bait and they get stock on it, but no success. Iīve tried cheese, sausage and cookes.

Any ideas besides getting a terrier or a cat? Mouse is starting to become very annoying and my fear is that soon I will have a colony of mice inside my house

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Try a piece of bread with PB on it. That's what SIL's sister did when she had mouses in her basement. I could send you Henery... he's an excellent mouser!

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I hear ya on lousy labs, Mine can't even catch a fly if he tried Can you call someone to set up a bait station for you? We live in the country, so always field mice around. We have a service that sets up bait stations outside our home. My dog has never touched them, and he touches everything. If you feel it is being caused by your neighbors leaving food around, I would be talking to them also. See if maybe they can curb or move their food elsewheres?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If you use a trap, mice can't resist chocolate candy.
    Since I have those plug in Riddex, I haven't seen any signs of mice. But some people say they don't work. Worth a try?

MNLab is offline Senior Member

We had 6 mice living in our window well, Daisy and Lola sure thought they were cool, so I hear you when you say these darn labs make terrible mousers...besides Henry, They just looked out the window and cocked their heads, got bored and left.
    My fiance ended up killing them by "spearing" them, as none of the traps we tried were enticing enough, either.
    Good luck!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Here's how mine take care of a mouse in the house: "Hey Hope! C'mere! Got a live one for ya!"

Seamus and Flynn

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Thanks

I will try with chocolate, since cookies didnīt work either. I have seen those traps were they put the poison inside, but Iīm still afraid the damn mouse could take some poison out and leave it for the dogs. Those little b**trds are capable of doing that in revenge if they think you want to kill them

Maybe I can invite Henery and Ollie for a vacation trip to Mexico City LOL

If the mouse would promise to remain single and do chastity votes I wouldnīt mind him around...

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Peanut butter worked with us............ then we sealed all the holes we could find where they could get in, having convinced hubby that they were NOT coming in the side door every time someone came in..................... We named ours Rodney............

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

A good old-fashioned mouse trap baited with peanut butter. (Of course you gotta put it someplace where the dogs can't get to it.)

Bella

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Bait: PB
    Trap: Old fashioned spring loaded.

Our back yard borders a wetland. Fieldmice get intot the house every fall. I can't find where, and neither have 3 different pest control outfits.
    Won't use poisons (1) as longas I have an animal in the house, (2) The poisons are actually anti-coagulants, the mive bleed to death internally. Where will they go as they get sick and are dying. Not to the center of your room of choice, but intoa wall somewhere to rot and rehydrate.

Peanut butter is great bait. The can't steal it, and no matter how delicately they lick it, they will eventually trip the release and it is over.

PS: November 08. Caught a mouse, reset trap, and repeated the process 7 times in one hour. Same trap. Then it turned out that was it for the winter. That litter was not very bright. Darwin theory prevailed.
    Last edited by HersheyK's Dad; 04-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast