What to expect w/ a 6 month old??

Thread: What to expect w/ a 6 month old??

tinymusic is offline Senior Member

QuestionWhat to expect w/ a 6 month old??

We may be possibly adopting a 6 month old lab. I have never had one so young, Brody was 15 months when I adopted him.

What sort of things should I be aware of at that age???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on what kind of training the pup has had. Dozer is six months old and has settled down pretty well. He still has his silly puppy moments, but the worst thing he does is steal socks and dish towels. I think, just like any other age dog, as long as they're exercised enough and have appropriate toys of their own it'll all go well (in theory of course LOL).
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Yeah I'm not to worried about the energy level. Brody was a handful to say the least.

Are they still in a chewing stage?
    How about bladder control?
    Any exercise limitations?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have two six month olds in for training now. One is a German Shorthair and the other a silver lab. It is interesting what people "allow" or consider normal. Right now the pups are learning that

Thou shalt not whine/bark needlessly in a crate.
    Thou shalt not put your teeth on me for any reason
    Thou shalt not put your face in another dogs bowl until I pick it up and say "clean up crew!"
    Thou shalt not pee or poop in the house, especially if you were just out for an hour and I SAW you pee and poop! (and every one does much to my disgust!)
    Thou shalt not barge out of a crate

Thou shalt come when called
    Thou shalt understand the meaning of WAIT! (stay where you are and do NOT come through this door)
    Thou shalt understand the meaning of "ENOUGH" (stop that rowdy play that brings snapping jaws near my legs)

I allow them to play at their own pace (no forced exercise but if they want to butt tuck at doggie day care or with each other for hours...go for it!

This weekend I was wondering which one of the pups had eaten un-popped popcorn kernels before they came to my house. Then I remembered that I had bought a carton of Orville Redenbocker's popcorn.....could not find it.....I have no idea how the little snots got to it, but they did....
    Last edited by Belles mom; 10-05-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

What you should expect...

Good things: At this age housebreaking should be already done, so teaching them should be easy. Their attention span is better, they are keen on learning things and can learn obedience. Mouthing is almost over because theething is probably over.

Bad things: This is the destroyer age, excess energy, jumping, playing very rough, testing the limits, trying to see if they can be the boss... they are leggy and don´t look very good (small head and loong legs).

Enjoy your pup!

This waiting game is driving me nuts!!! I wish the people would email or call!!!!
    Trying to be as patient as possible

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Housetraining should be pretty easy if he hasn't been trained already. At 6 months I'd definitely expect the dog to be clean over night and generally during the day. My dogs past and present have always been reliably clean by about 4-5 months.

Excerise...hmm. If he has been exercised in a previous home, I'd probably give a 6 month old a good off leash run of 30 minutes or so and another shorter controlled walk (on leash) later on in the day with some training mixed in. If he HASN'T been exercised much or at all previously I'd build him up slowly with a couple of short (10-15 minute) walks, both on and off lead, each day. Plus a bit of training, of course.

Behaviour wise you can expect some chewing and destruction still and bounds of energy!