Just Labradors banner

Kennel cough

765 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jarcat 
#1 ·
I have been trying to find the answer online and am not having much success. How is kennel cough spread from dog to dog? Do they have to be in direct contact? The reason I ask is a co-worker adopted a chihuahua puppy on Thursday and brought him by the office on her way home. Of course, I had to go see him (he's very cute). Yesterday I asked her how he was doing and he may have kennel cough. I can't remember if I washed my hands between the puppy and going home and BJ was licking my hands when I walked through the door. Maybe an hour elapsed between the two - do I need to worry?

#2 ·
....he may have kennel cough. I can't remember if I washed my hands between the puppy and going home and BJ was licking my hands when I walked through the door. Maybe an hour elapsed between the two - do I need to worry?
According to Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook," there are a number of viruses & bacteria than cause symptoms that are diagnosed as "kennel cough" so there'd be many means of transmission -- breath, skin contact, licking, etc.

I don't think you need to worry BUT IF your BJ starts coughing you'll know the probable diagnosis and route of infection, so see the vet then.

#4 ·
It is highly contagious. I had my puppy at the vet for her second set of shots and there were a couple cases of Kennel cough in there. My vet changed her scrubs completely before she came in contact with my puppy. If your dog starts making a weird coughing hacking sound take him/her in right away but let your vet know what you suspect it may be. They give a type of syrup, almost like a cough syrup to get rid of it. Hope all goes well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.