Simba - VERY LONG
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simba - VERY LONG

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimba - VERY LONG - Update

UPDATE - Vet called, Simba is out of surgery and doing well. (Surgery was about 3.5 hrs.) They put a cast on her, but they cut in half, so when she goes in for her weekly check it will be just changing the ace instead of recasting each time. 8 wks for the cast and strict limited movement. Then approx. 6 wks for a splint, and then after that, start limited motion/walking. Oh boy...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thurs. nite we were sitting on the deck enjoying the beautiful weather and throwing the ball for the dogs. On one particular throw, it was Simba's turn to get the ball, while running for it, she missed twice and then turned kiddywompus and got the ball and came hobbling back. Proud she had the ball, but off to the vet about 20 mins later after we she wouldn't quit limping and we examined her leg and saw it limp.

Vet x-rayed; achilles AND leg is broke. OMG...I was just in tears. Options: do nothing (would be limp for the rest of her life), fix (MAJOR $$$) or put down. We had just fixed her other knee in May, not even a year ago and now the other leg. DH was not too happy. Between this and her seizures, he "thought" enough is enough. I convinced DH that she's only 4 and we are getting her leg fixed. Vet says she should regain about 80-85% if all goes well. I'm thinking GREAT, 85% is good and maybe even better?

So Thurs. nite they put a splint on and home we go. Not a good nite at all. They gave us some tamarol for the pain. Gave her 2 as instructed when we got home. OMG...about 20 mins. later I thought my dog was going to die. Higher than a kite and would not settle. I tried to get her to sleep on the couch with me, no go, up to wander a bit and back to laying down. Up and down, up and down, no sleep for me or Simba. So I thought ok, I'll just give her one in the am instead of 2. Gave her 1 and the same thing. Called the vet and she said don't give anymore, some dogs can't take. Stick with rimadal only. So about 2:30 Fri. afternoon I finally had MY dog back to as normal as she is!

Sat. was pretty good. Sun. OH MY, what a little stinker. She was in good spirits most of the day thankfully. Beautiful day out and she lazed on the deck watching mom clean up the piles in the yard. Or so I thought...took a break and didn't see her on the deck and found her inside the house with her splint about 3/4 off! Oh brother, have to fix before DH gets home! I cut off what is remaining and retape with some gauze I found. Ok, good to go! LOLOLOLOLOL, bedtime comes and I hear her out on the couch and I go check, yep, she chewed that one off also. So I left it off and we "slept" on the couch again last nite. I thought screw it, she goes in in the morning for surgery and I'll just keep her on the couch with me. Another nite of very little sleep.

So here we are dressed and ready to go! If you could spare a prayer or thought for my girl, I would really appreciate it. I know she'll do fine, but extras wouldn't hurt.

Sorry this was so long, thank you for reading this as DH "just doesn't get it".
    Last edited by Thunders Mom; 03-22-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: UPDATE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

Oh no!!!! Sending good thoughts for Simba!!! Sounds like you'll have more of an issue with keeping her bandages on than the actual healing

I'm just amazed at the stories of broken legs on JL. I never knew they were so fragile.

Keep us posted on today's surgery!!!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Simba is lucky to have you !

Get well soon pup !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Oh no! Poor Simba

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Get well soon Simba! Good thoughts for all of you

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts incoming for Simba and for you! Hope she has a speedy recovery and is back to her monkey self soon.

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

Ah, poor Simba.

I hope she gets well soon.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Prayers for you and Simba for a easy surgery and quick healing. {{{HUGS}}} you are a very good mom!!

joflake is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good thoughts for Simba! I'm sorry this has happened to her and I'm also sorry about DH. Some people just don't feel the way we do.

lisa is offline Senior Member

good thoughts and lots of prayer for Simba..keep us posted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast