What to use for ticks and fleas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use for ticks and fleas?

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat to use for ticks and fleas?

I have only used Frontline Plus when I go to the beach but am wary now. What is suggested for use at this point? The ticks are rampant on Long Island.

I am adding that my first lab, Phoenix, died of a tick borne disease after going to Long Island so I am really afraid not to treat my two.
    Last edited by nellies mom; 03-19-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I use Advantix. I have never had any problems with flea/tick meds, maybe I am lucky, and I have used everything from sentinal to frontline and now advantix. I really like advantix because of I just feel it works best and I live a mosquito and tick filled area.
    Kim

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I wondered this as well when reading the post about the death's etc. I've always used fontline plus on sami... Never had a problem. I only use it a few months out of the year as she doesn't get fleas very often and ticks aren't a big problem here. Plus it's poison and I don't want to give it to her unless she gets the buggers...

Just wondered what (other than the topical pesticides) people use...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

In the article I read Advantix was one of the problem ones

sloigo is offline Senior Member

I use the frontline plus. I thought about changing, looked at other stuff all winter & ended up getting it again. I use it for the longest time as can be, 45 days. We have never had a problem with any of our girls.....what was the pivotal thought in keeping WITH frontline? Connie & her foot problem with the boys, Simon & Angus last summer. Our girls have been ok as far as we know & it keeps the fleas & ticks dead! Heart Worm pills so the flies aren't really a worry. You have to pick your battles.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I still use Frontline Plus. Advantix wouldn't work for me since it is toxic to cats and as much as Midnight plays with Tal and Barney not a risk I want to take. After Tal's episode a year ago with heartworms, we did switch him to Interceptor, which Barney was already on because of whipworms. I still give Midnight Heartguard and frontline also. As I mentioned in the other thread, I am not as worried about fleas as ticks around here.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

From articles I've read Frontline has had the LEAST problems. Read the directions and use it accordingly.

A lot of the problems are due to people overdosing, or using the wrong meds (like using dog formula on cats, large dog on small dog).

If you've used it in the past and have been okay, you are most likely okay with it.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I use Advantix on my girls. We were using Frontline, but Java was still getting alot of ticks on her and ended up testing positive for Lyme Disease, so we switched at that point. Advantix seems to work much better and we have had no ill effects from it at all.

georgie is offline Senior Member

We use Frontline Plus on our girls. We run them in hunt tests and some places we go are well known for ticks. We have not have any problems. I am careful to always check it is the correct dose & I use it according to the directions.
    I should mention we did get our old girl Shadow the Lyme vaccination & I always wondered if it may have caused her health issues before she died. Our vet does not routinely give the vaccination. She does test our girls annually and we have been okay. We chose not to get Molly, Abby & Kate the vaccination.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I will continue to use Frontline Plus. I do only use it twice, mid spring and summer and have not had problems.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast