Only wanting to eat from hands?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only wanting to eat from hands?

I_Love_my_duchess is offline Junior Member

DefaultOnly wanting to eat from hands?

Hi there...I have been meaning to post this but I have been super busy with having a 9mo that is tryin to walk lol.

But anyways lil miss duchess has a problem! She will only eat from my hands...But she will take nick picks of food here and there when Im in the kitchen with her sometimes...If she knows Im leaving she will grab a lil bit of food and chew it on the way out the door...But if I have the bowl in hand and I feed her the dog food she will eat it till its almost gone!...Now I have to say its VERY frustrating at the least because she is on the tid bit skinny side and I dont like it.But How do I get her to stop eating from my hands and eat from her bowl and eat all the dog food in it?? BTW I have also put the dog food in the living room with me so she can try to eat and least feel comforted as well but wont touch it the whole entire time. Please help? lol

Duchess with her squirrel on 3/11/2009

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I think you've created a picky eater! My suggestion would be to offer her food at meal time. Leave it in her bowl, set it on the ground and if she doesn't eat it, pick it up. She gets nothing until the next meal. Most dogs will figure it out pretty quickly because they will eat when they are hungry. If she only eats a little bit, pick up the rest and give her food again at the next meal time. It's really hard, but generally it works well.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So hard for me to relate to with 2 Labs that practically inhale their meals - but I did have a Shepherd who was not a reliable eater and liked to graze rather that eat in one "sitting". She eventually improved when I did as Justine suggests. Give it a try.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I would only leave it down for 10 minutes, then like Justine said, up it comes until the next scheduled feeding. DO NOT ADD FOOD until the bowl is completely empty. If she leaves a kernel, then that's what she gets the next time. Alpha controls the food and she needs to learn that she has to eat when you allow her to eat otherwise YOU are at HER beck and call, which means SHE is controlling YOU.

It might be tough for you if she goes 2-3 days without eating. Be strong and do not cave. She gets NOTHING besides her dog food. No treats, no table scraps, NOTHING.

Laura

ReesieRileyBailey is offline Junior Member

Try switching her food to something that doesn't have corn or wheat in it. Our Shepard started doing that then he lost half his weight , even though we left his food out at all times. His skin and coat went down hill fast vet said nothing was wrong, ended up putting him on steroids to get him to eat and gain back weight, which isn't good for him, then the vet didn't want to keep him on it. Well he looks terrible and has for years, but at least with switching his food he eats now, but still hasn't gained back his weight. Good Luck.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I would only leave it down for 10 minutes, then like Justine said, up it comes until the next scheduled feeding. DO NOT ADD FOOD until the bowl is completely empty. If she leaves a kernel, then that's what she gets the next time. Alpha controls the food and she needs to learn that she has to eat when you allow her to eat otherwise YOU are at HER beck and call, which means SHE is controlling YOU.

It might be tough for you if she goes 2-3 days without eating. Be strong and do not cave. She gets NOTHING besides her dog food. No treats, no table scraps, NOTHING.
    I agree with this completely.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post

Totally agree with Laura's suggestion. We did this with all of our dogs, if they were picky, they were not picky for long.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

kaytris is offline Senior Member

agree with laura and others, BUT only if your vet says she's otherwise healthy.

I_Love_my_duchess is offline Junior Member

She is on dog chow or purina( what the owners had her on before I got her).. I will try what you said justine, thanks all to whom replied. I already had plans on switching her food to Nutro possibly...Ill get back in a few days and let yall know the progress of how it going. Thank you guys so much! I appreciate it.

Duchess with her squirrel on 3/11/2009

labby is offline Senior Member

Please don't switch to Nutro. They've had a lot of recalls and they're really not a good company anymore. Try ProPlan, but not the Shreds. They have a regular chicken or even a salmon based food.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast