Chicken Free Dog Food!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Free Dog Food!!!

lsteigerwalt is offline Junior Member

DefaultChicken Free Dog Food!!!

Hey gang,
    It's Buddy's Dad again. I am trying to find a cheaper food for him and our other dogs. Right now they eat NATURAL BALANCE Venison and Sweet Potatoes at $60 a bag. Since Buddy is allergic to chicken are there any other cheaper suggestions out there?

Leroy
    Our Boy Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm in the process of switching Caleb from Natural Balance to Taset of The Wild for the same reason- TOTW is about 8 cents a pound cheaper here than NB. I don't see chicken of any kind listed in the Pacific Stream formula.

Taste of the Wild : Products : Dogs : Pacific Stream Canine Formula

brody is offline Senior Member

sorry I don't pick my food by price point - no help from me
    I actually do everything I cna not to pay attention to the price either as I think it would stop my heart ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    sorry I don't pick my food by price point - no help from me
    I actually do everything I cna not to pay attention to the price either as I think it would stop my heart ...
    I don't go by price strictly, I feed what works best for Caleb. BUT, if I can find something that works just as good, but for less money, I'm going with that. Especially since my husband has been unemployed for almost a year. Believe me, if TOTW wasn't working as good as NB, or of he didn't like it I wouldn't feed it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I feed my Puff something similar to "Diamond Naturals" C&R but DN also offers a L&R (Lamb & Rice). The Kirkland dog foods (house brand, like Kenmore or Craftsman, sold only at Costco Warehouse Clubs) is made by the same mfr and also has similar C&R, L&R formulas to the DN -- that's the one we really use.

"Taste of the Wild" is also made by the same company (Schell & Kampeter) which also makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's ___, as well as the Kirkland, TOTW, and many other brands. They do NOT advertise -- instead they depend on satisfied customers to spread the word.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

diamond naturals runs about $35 for 40 pound bag ................mine love it ...........we stopped the lamb and rice thought cause the lamb made abby stink

So I am confused. Is it the chicken he is allergic to or what? All the vet said was he had allergies? The dogs love the NB Venison and Sweet Potatoes but honestly I only spend $60 a week for a family of 6 on groceries and household items. Its hard to justify spending $20 a week in food for our four leg family members. Another bonehead ? How much should I be feeding Buddy? The little dogs are used to their food being down all day..bad habit I know..so its hard keeping Buddy out of their bowl. He does pretty good but every know and then he will sneak a bite.
    Our Boy Buddy

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

The food you are feeding now is a grain free food. Grain free is good for those with allergies because grains are common allergens. If you know for sure he only has an allergy to chicken then you can feed any food without chicken. Grain free food tends to be more expensive but you feed less of it because it doesn't have all of the extra fillers. Raven eats Nature's Variety Instict (but it is is chicken flavor- grain free). She only eats 2 cups a day. Here is a link to a list of other grain free foods. Not sure what is available in your area. The Dog Food Project - Grain Free Dog Foods
    If you don't need grain free Proplan Sensitive Skin and Stomach is a decent food I used to feed- no chicken...salmon is the main ingredient.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lsteigerwalt View Post
    I only spend $60 a week for a family of 6 on groceries and household items.
    Wha? Huh? Really? How is that possible? I spend about $250 for a family of 4!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

I am a Huge Coupon Geek. If it aint got a coupon my family is hard pressed to get me to buy. My best week this year was $383 dollars worth of groceries and personal items for 48 bucks,lol. I can give you more info if you like. Its easy to do and doesnt take much time to do it.
    Our Boy Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast