Sam jumping the fence

Thread: Sam jumping the fence

DefaultSam jumping the fence

Allright folks hope ssome one can help me with this one. Moved into this house last year. Almost immediatleyhad a problem with sampson jumping the fence. At the time it was chain lik and a simple jump. We replaced that one with a 6ft privacy fence that he has just recently taken to jumping over.have tried using the invisable fence but just didn't work on him(prior to putting in the privacy). He has been good for about a year now.He doesn't go wander the neighborhood, just sit's on the front porch. Have tried back fencing so he can't get a toe hold and is still clearing it. He also tore his dewclaws doing this the other day. ouch. If you leave him out to long he still will go over even with his ankles wrapped up to proect his claw's. Could he be trying to get away from coco. she is the only change in the backyard lately as she grow's up? thanks for any suggestion's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No idea who coco is. Is your dog out all day unsupervised? If so - you should build a kennel with a top on it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

coco is his little sister. 8 mth old chocalte lab. Sam is almost three.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

and the other things I said??? Is he out all day?

He was till the fence jumping started back up. they have almost a 1/4 acre fenced for them to play in. Also have a 7 yr old basset that he has been with for 2 yrs. He was a rescuedog with no notification about him being a jumper.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have one who tries to dig out if he gets bored. He's been successful a couple of times. So, he's never outside unsupervised. Can you keep him in the house?

I suppose another option would be to install a fence top that angles inward...like they have at the zoo.

Samson is offline Senior Member

If you don't want him in the house then at the very least build a pen that he can't get out of because he will end up doing more damage to himself than just ripping his dew claws.

I doubt that your chocolate is the cause ! Perhaps other dogs prehaps even a bitch in the vicinity ?

He's out all day long with no stimulation - he's bored. The outside world beckons. He is also at risk from passers-by who may do him harm.

If you HAVE TO keep your dogs outdoors, you should build a proper kennel for them both with a top so they cannot escape and adequate shelter.