Sleeping through the night in crate?

Thread: Sleeping through the night in crate?

BellaKat is offline Junior Member

DefaultSleeping through the night in crate?

Hi all,
    I am wondering when I should expect the puppy to actually sleep through the night in his crate? he is coming home at 8 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Well, I'd say that depends on you and your breeder. My puppies were sleeping through the night in crates at 8 weeks when they went home, it only took a few nights on my part to make it so, but yes they can be taught early.

If you are very diligent and follow the same routine at night (I use 'Night Night' and put puppy in the crate with 2 cheesies, then shut the lights out) and if puppy wakes up I pick them up out of the crate with little fanfare and NO lights on, and put puppy outside (alone, with no other dogs) when puppy performs, they are picked back up and put back into the crate. I never turn the lights on and I don't talk to puppy. Now usually they'll try to carry on for a few minutes when you put them back in, but ignore that. Don't talk to him/her.

I've never had a puppy that took more than 4-5 days to teach to sleep through the night. But our nights are only 5.5 hours long here (who needs sleep?) and puppy can hold it.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie slept through the night after about a day or two, Lola took a lot longer about 2 month (almost 4 months old).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

All puppies are different. It was a week or two before my girls slept through the night. We had a routine that they got used to but during the week I am up at 5:30 for work so after a few weeks they could sleep from 10 until 5:30. Unfortunately now even on the weekends Kate, the youngest, is still up by 6:30 -7 at the very latest.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum was horrible, she cried most of the night for a couple weeks. I was ready to kill her.

Ruger whined and panted a lot... he was hot at night, I filled an empty 2 liter plastic bottle with water and froze it and put it in his crate at night, he'd snuggle up to it when he was hot and go back to sleep. That really was a Godsend.

Remington was good. He pretty much slept all night.

mrobmsu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Well, I'd say that depends on you and your breeder. My puppies were sleeping through the night in crates at 8 weeks when they went home, it only took a few nights on my part to make it so, but yes they can be taught early.

If you are very diligent and follow the same routine at night (I use 'Night Night' and put puppy in the crate with 2 cheesies, then shut the lights out) and if puppy wakes up I pick them up out of the crate with little fanfare and NO lights on, and put puppy outside (alone, with no other dogs) when puppy performs, they are picked back up and put back into the crate. I never turn the lights on and I don't talk to puppy. Now usually they'll try to carry on for a few minutes when you put them back in, but ignore that. Don't talk to him/her.

I've never had a puppy that took more than 4-5 days to teach to sleep through the night. But our nights are only 5.5 hours long here (who needs sleep?) and puppy can hold it.
    That is a gorgeous dog!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Neither of mine took more than a few days (don't remember exactly) but it wasn't too long. Each dog is different. Like others have said, establish a routine for bed beginning the first night and it will make it go smmother! Good luck and know you're excited about bringing your new arrival home!