When and how to start socializing boys with neighbor's new pup

Thread: When and how to start socializing boys with neighbor's new pup

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen and how to start socializing boys with neighbor's new pup

The fence fighting conversation made me remember I need to ask this:

Our neighbors have a new puppy. He's pretty small right now, and neighbor has expressed an interest in all the boys (he's a male too) playing together, but I told her the other day I didn't think we should throw Owen "to the wolves" just yet The boys play rough, and I'd be so worried they would hurt or scare Owen.

But I do want them all to become friends. We have walked them together a time or two, and I hope to do a lot more of that. But I wondered if you all had any thoughts on slowly introducing them to play with each other? I think neighbor would be very grateful for an opportunity to wear little Owen out. He's a handful!

Should we continue to walk together a few times? At what age do you think they could safely start playing together? We probably shouldn't let them all together at once, should we?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm that's a good question.

I would probably introduce them one at a time, on neutral territory, like out on a walk away from both of your houses... then maybe one by one, take each of your boys over to THEIR yard to play?

I just took my 10 week old puppy Kona to the vet yesterday to get her second set of shots and the vet said it would be good to start socializing her with other dogs now, as long as we know the other dogs have all their shots up to date.

Hope that helps!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Yes! continue with the walks all together and during the walks let them sniff each other and get acquainted, that way they become a "pack". After several walks where you can see how they get along then you can let them socialize off leash (a good territory could actually be your neighbors´ so your dogs don´t get territorial with the pup, and pups usually don´t care about territories)

I have found it is best to let dogs meet each other to avoid fence fighting at a later stage. During our morning walks I have tried to introduce my dogs to as many neighbor´s as possible (if they allow me to approach the fence without overly guarding). Once they get to sniff each other I can walk by without them barking at us anymore, and in some case even stop for a "hi"

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

If your two are anything like my two, off leash play one on one should be fine. I introduced a 10 week old Cavalier to my two with no problems. Or I should say almost no problems. He (the Cav) got hurt once when he got stepped on by the boys while they were bitey face playing in the back yard. He soon learned NOT to run underneath the two when they were wrestling.

Even my rough and tumble Teddy was good with the pup.
    I think I would let them off leash in the neighbors back yard one at a time. One play session with Simon, next time with Angus.

One of my favorite pics from when we brought Tucker home:
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...y/Takethat.jpg

Take some pics when you do let them play together!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, we could take them over there but the neighbors don't have a fence yet. The boys have pretty good recall, but I don't know, if they did happen to decide to go past the boundaries they would be in crazy lady's yard behind us. She's terrified of dogs, especially big dogs.