Labs vs. Goldens?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labs vs. Goldens?

Baggio is offline Junior Member

CoolLabs vs. Goldens?

I know this is weird posting it in a Lab forum, but I just wanted to hear from you guys(/gals). DO you prefer Labs or Goldens more? Or, does any one have experiences to share who own both Labs and Goldens?? To me, they seem pretty much the same...except Goldens have a long fur coat, and labs have shorter ones. Both are really energetic and friendly, though!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Stephanie_pups is offline Junior Member

i have a lab puppy.
    shes quite boisterous.
    and people always rave on about how lab pups are little terrors.
    mines not even that bad.,
    i dont know if i just got lucky or what..
    but goldens might be easier to raise?
    im not familiar with the breed..
    but i would also love to know..

Rodarbal is offline Senior Member

I have both labs and a golden retriever. My golden retriever is now eleven years old and my labs range in age from three to one. It really is hard to say whether as a breed they are different or the same. I would have to say they are more the same than different. My golden is very laid back, relaxed and calm, but I have met the opposite...boisterous and rowdy. Just like I have met laid back labs and rowdy labs. Both breeds are eager to please and smart. One couldn't go wrong with either breed!

...LUKE.........JOSIE.........HUCK...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SallyQ is offline Junior Member

How can you compare? Both are beautiful breeds! I suppose a lab's coat wouldn't need as much maintenance as a golden's, and I think goldens are a little bigger...
    Sally, Max and Daisy

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

They are so similar. Funny enough, my golden doesn't shed as much as my lab. They are both truly wonderful companions.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We had a golden before we got our current lab, and they are similar. Goldens do need more grooming, and although they both shed my lab's fur seems heavier and just settles. When we had the golden, his fur seemed to always be floating though the air. Both dogs are great companions, and make great pets. I think that goldens (as a breed) tend to be clingier than labs; but both my golden and lab were/are very clingy.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

justine is offline Senior Member

I like both breeds, but personally, I don't think I could deal with the grooming a Golden requires. But that's just me

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I like both breeds, but personally, I don't think I could deal with the grooming a Golden requires. But that's just me
    Me neither. I had Emma's Golden friend for a week and was surprised how the dirt just suck in to the coat. I guess you get a bit lazy when you have a lab you just wipe off all the dirt and mud with a towel and then compares that to the golden you had to shower legs and belly after all muddy walks!

Edited to add a picture of the two friends:
    Emma and Frida, Fall 2008.
    Last edited by Emma the Lab; 03-09-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I have heard that goldens have a strong smell... compared to labs. I don't really know though. The only golden I ever met reeked, but that might have been the owner's fault.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

I suspect that those of us who know both breeds fairly well are reluctant to say something that may not be PC to others. But I lost my fear several years ago of speaking truthfully ... if asked for my opinion ... so here it is.

In my own personal experience over 50 years with both breeds, the stereotypical Golden is not as social and laid back as the stereotypical Lab. Aside from their physical differences, primarily in the coat and average size, the Golden is less likely to be a strong swimmer and therefore not as good a choice for a waterfowl retriever as a Lab. On the other hand, the Golden generally displays more stamina in the upland field enthusiastically running, working and searching for more game when the Lab has already given up and is content to walk at heel waiting for an easy retrieve. I've found Goldens to be a little less trustworthy around other dawgs and strangers, sometime displaying sudden aggressive behavior that is unacceptable if not outright dangerous. My observations are anecdotal of course but are formed over many years with a number of dawgs of both breeds. I chose Labs for my own dawgs for that reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast